Thursday, April 19, 2018

Orange Blossom Bundt Cake #BundtBakers

I am happy to be hosting Bundt Bakers this month.  I chose the theme Flowers because I, for one, am sick to death of the April Showers and more than ready for some May Flowers.

I asked the others in the group to bake a cake that celebrated Spring.  I suggested Rose Water or Lavender in the batter.  Or perhaps decorating with candied or sugared flowers.  I would even accept a Bundt that was made in a flower shaped pan.  No hard and set rules, only a theme to help us create a Springtime cake just in time for our readers to prepare for Mother's Day.

You will find links to all of their recipes at the bottom of this post.  I can't wait to see what they made.  They are such a creative group.


One of my blogging friends, Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories, had recently hosted a giveaway from Nielsen-Massey and I was the lucky winner.  I received a bottle of their Vanilla Bean Paste.  I knew when it arrived that it was going to be used in whatever I created for this event.

I also was in possession or some Rosewater, Lavender and Orange Blossom extracts which is one of the reasons I chose this theme.

I found a wonderful recipe that included both the Orange Blossom Water and the Vanilla Bean Paste. Unfortunately when I went back to link to it for this post, the owner has since marked it as private and I am unable to get back into the site.  The name of the blog is How to be a Housewife.


If  you don't have vanilla bean paste you can use pure vanilla extract but I would recommend that you get some of this paste when you are able.  It really elevates the flavor to the next level.  Of course, that is only my personal opinion but it is 100% honest and I think you will agree.


This cake was very delicious.  Not too sweet with a citrusy glaze instead of frosting which makes me very happy.  I took this over to our friends, the Benda's, when we were invited over for dinner.  It was a huge hit.



This is not a light and fluffy cake but dense, like a pound cake with a moist crumb.  I served it plain but it would also be nice with a dollop of orange scented whipped cream.


Orange Blossom Bundt Cake
adapted from How to be a Housewife

3 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
pinch of salt
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 T. orange blossom water
1 T. vanilla bean paste
6 eggs, room temperature
1 c. Greek yogurt
zest and juice of 1 orange
2 c. confectioners sugar

In small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In large bowl of stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Mix in the orange blossom water and the vanilla bean paste.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.

With the mixer on low speed add one third of the flour mixture until incorporated.  Mix in 1/2 c. of the yogurt. Follow this with another third of the flour, the remaining yogurt and the final third of the flour.  Once incorporated, increase speed and beat about 2 minutes, until well blended.

Spread into a bundt pan that has been treated with baking spray.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 50-60 minutes, until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.

Let cool in pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes before turning out of the pan onto the cooling rack to cool completely.

Combine the confectioners sugar and orange zest in a bowl.  Stir in a 1/4 c. of orange juice, add remaining orange juice, 1 tablespoon at a time until glaze is desired consistency.  You may not use all the juice.  If you do use all the juice and the glaze is still to thick add water, 1 tablespoon at a time until it is the consistency desired.

Place cooled cake on rack over a parchment lined baking sheet.  Pour glaze over the cake.  Remove cake to serving platter.  Print Recipe

Let's Take a Look at the other Flower Inspired Bundts


BundtBakers




#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about BundtBakers, can be found on our home page.

11 comments:

  1. Nice! I've never used the Orange Blossom before...I think I have a bottle of it somewhere...I'll have to scrounge around for it now after seeing this yummy looking recipe!!! Once again, thanks for being the host with the mostest!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will love it once you use it Colleen. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on winning the giveaway! Orange and vanilla are such a great pairing and perfect for the season. Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'v never tasted orange blossom water. I believe it is great. Your cake has such a good texture, I like it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to get hold of orange blossom. The cake looks gorgeous Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first got mine as a sponsor gift from Nielsen Massey and fell in love with it.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful cake Wendy! I have some of that orange water! Can't wait to try this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love Nielson-Massey...honestly it's the only brand of extracts I use. So awesome that you won the giveaway!

    I love pound cake and I love the idea of orange blossom in a cake so I am sure I would enjoy this. It looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.