I didn't even know National Picnic Day existed but I do love me an outdoor gathering with family and friends so I was happy to participate in this event.
The dish I'm sharing with you today was made for one of our last picnics in 2017, our granddaughter's birthday party in September. I made all the food for the party and this Asian Slaw was perfect because there is no cream involved. It is delicious served chilled or at room temperature and it can set out for a while without fear of spoiling.
This colorful and tasty salad takes only moments to throw together. The recipe is adapted from one found in Cuisine at Home. It is healthy and sure to be gobbled up at your next gathering.
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #124
1 lb. frozen shelled edamame, cooked per package directions
6 cups baby kale, shredded
2 lg. carrots, shredded
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and deveined, mince
1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts, sliced on the bias
1/4 c. canola oil
3 T. rice wine vinegar
3 T. soy sauce
Juice from 1 lime
1 T. sesame oil
1 t. ginger paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. honey
Combine the edamame, kale, carrots, pepper, cilantro and jalapeno in a large bowl.
Whisk together the canola oil, vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and honey. Pour over the slaw mixture. Toss to coat and chill or serve. Print Recipe
More Great Picnic Ideas
- Asian Slaw by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Baked Crispy Chicken Drumsticks by Everyday Eileen
- Bánh Mì + A Wine Suggestion by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Broccoli Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chicken BLT Shaker Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Deviled Eggs with Horseradish and Dill by Palatable Pastime
- Florida Stone Crab Claws with Key Lime Mustard Dipping Sauce by Family Around the Table
- Italian Antipasto Pasta Salad by Books n' Cooks
- Marinated Three Bean Salad by Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Roasted Corn Salad with Chile Vinaigrette by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice