Monday, April 23, 2018

Asian Slaw for National Picnic Day #FestiveFoodies

Welcome to National Picnic Day being hosted by the founder of our Festive Foodies group, Ellen of Family Around the Table.

I didn't even know National Picnic Day existed but I do love me an outdoor gathering with family and friends so I was happy to participate in this event.

The dish I'm sharing with you today was made for one of our last picnics in 2017, our granddaughter's birthday party in September.  I made all the food for the party and this Asian Slaw was perfect because there is no cream involved.  It is delicious served chilled or at room temperature and it can set out for a while without fear of spoiling.


This colorful and tasty salad takes only moments to throw together.  The recipe is adapted from one found in Cuisine at Home.  It is healthy and sure to be gobbled up at your next gathering.

Asian Slaw
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #124

1 lb. frozen shelled edamame, cooked per package directions
6 cups baby kale, shredded
2 lg. carrots, shredded
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded and deveined, mince
1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts, sliced on the bias
1/4 c. canola oil
3 T. rice wine vinegar
3 T. soy sauce
Juice from 1 lime
1 T. sesame oil
1 t. ginger paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. honey

Combine the edamame, kale, carrots, pepper, cilantro and jalapeno in a large bowl.  

Whisk together the canola oil, vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and honey.  Pour over the slaw mixture.  Toss to coat and chill or serve.  Print Recipe

More Great Picnic Ideas


2 comments:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.