Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Healthified Swiss Steak #RecipeMakeover

I know that when I say Swiss Steak it envisions a piece of steak, often cubed for tenderizing, smothered in a heavy gravy that may or may not contain mushrooms.  Very delicious but not very healthy.

This recipe I am sharing with you today is a win on so many levels.  You start off with round steak which is one of the leanest cuts of beef.  We are going to cook it low and slow in a crockpot so that it is fork tender.  It is smothered with veggies instead of gravy and what gravy there is is light and bright made with the juices from the veggies and a little water added prior to cooking.


Serve it all up over some pasta made with brown rice instead of flour.  Your family will never know that the pasta is made from rice if you don't tell them and they get the added benefits of whole grains that are gluten free if that is an issue in your family.


A group of us are getting together all week, under the direction of Allison of The PinterTest Kitchen, to share recipes that are healthier but still amazingly delicious.  We are also hosting a giveaway that you can join by going to my welcome post.


You will find many more wonderful healthy and nutritious recipes following mine.


Swiss Steak
adapted from BHG

1 Round Steak, approx. 1-11/2 lbs.
1 T. coconut oil
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 small onion, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 t. dried thyme

Cut steak into fourths and trim fat from meat. Season with salt and pepper and brown in hot oil in a skillet over med high heat. Remove to a plate and set aside.

Pour diced tomatoes into the hot skillet used for the meat and deglaze, stirring to loosen up brown bits stuck to the pan.

Place the onions, celery and carrots in bottom of slow cooker, season with salt and pepper. Top with the meat and any drippings on the plate. Pour tomatoes over the meat and vegetables, sprinkle with the thyme. Cook on low for 6-8 hrs.  Print Recipe



More Recipe Makeovers



4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I haven't thought of Swiss Steak in a long time. I must make this in my crockpot soon!! Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm anxious to see what you think of this version Paula. This has been my go to for years now but my MIL didn't think it should have been called Swiss Steak since there is no gravy LOL>

      Delete
  2. Oh wow Wendy, you just took me back to my childhood! It's been so long since I've had Swiss Steak! I made it once with ground buffalo meat, which was amazing. Not sure why I haven't made it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I could give you some food memories Colleen. They are the best.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.