Friday, May 15, 2020

Mahi Mahi Matecumbe; A Fish House Favorite and the Weekly Menu #FishFridayFoodies

Every few years we go down to the Florida Keys for a dive trip.  We always enjoy the diving regardless of which Key we visit.  I like exploring the different areas of the Keys but every trip.  Every. Single. Trip.  We always make a visit to The Fish House in Key Largo.

Mahi Mahi Matecumbe

This is my attempt to recreate our favorite dish from this restaurant.  The fresh catch of the day served Matecumbe style.  Normally, if they have Snapper that is what I order.  I couldn't get any Snapper so I made mine with Mahi Mahi for this month's Fish Friday Foodies........

My friend Sue of Palatable Pastime is hosting this month and asked us to share our favorite Restaurant Copy Cat recipe.  Let's see what the others brought to the table today......
Fish Friday Foodies is a group I started several years ago to help add more fish and seafood into my diet.  We welcome new bloggers who would like to cook and post with us on the third Friday of each month. Interested?  Just let me know in the comment section below.

This dish wasn't exactly as perfect as that served at The Fish House but it was pretty darn close.  It's hard to compete with fresh line caught catch of the day but the Mahi Mahi was a great foil for the Matecumbe style.

dinner plate with wine

Frank said that he could eat this fish dish every day and not complain....that is quite the compliment from my non fish lover.  I served this up with Sweet Potato Fries made in the Air Fryer (stay tuned for that recipe) and paired it with Sauvignon Blanc from Israel that I will be talking about on May 23rd with our Wine Pairing Weekend Group during Twitter chat at 11 AM ET.  You can find us following #WinePW.

Mahi Mahi Matecumbe pin



Before I share my recipe I want to talk about what's on the menu for this week.  I love cooking and spending time in the kitchen but I've got to tell you, I will be very happy when the restaurants open again.  

Saturday
Grilled Pork Chops with Pineapple Salsa
Grilled Sweet Potato Planks

Sunday
Lamb Stuffed Eggplant

Meatless Monday
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Vegetable Noodle Soup

Taco Tuesday
SouthWestern Casserole

Wednesday
Smoked Pot Roast with Root Vegetables

Thursday
Noodle Stir Fry with Chicken

Fish Friday
Seafood Biryani

And here is my recipe for Mahi Mahi Matecumbe that has me hankering to head back down to the Keys first chance I get......




#mahimahi, #fish, #tomatoes, #onions, #capers, #Oliveoil, #lemon, #quick, #easy, #healthy,
Entrees, Fish
American
Yield: 2 servings
Author:

Mahi Mahi Matecumbe

Mahi Mahi Matecumbe

I recreated this recipe after enjoying this dish numerous times at The Fish House in Key Largo, Florida. Fresh Mahi Mahi fillets broiled with a mixture of tomatoes, onions, basil, capers, lemon juice and olive oil.
Prep time: 10 MCook time: 10 MTotal time: 20 M

Ingredients:

  • 2 (4-6 oz) Mahi Mahi fillets
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 Campari tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/3 c. sweet Vidalia onion, finely diced
  • 1 T. basil paste or 2 T. chopped fresh basil
  • 2 T. capers, drained
  • 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
  • juice of 1/2 lemon

Instructions:

  1. Combine the tomatoes, onions, basil, olive oil, capers, and lemon juice in a bowl.  Season with salt and pepper. Set aside
  2. Season the Mahi Mahi with salt and pepper on both sides and place on a rimmed baking sheet.  Place under a broiler for about 4 minutes, until partially cooked.  Flip the fish over and top with the tomato mixture.  Return to broiler for another 4-5 minutes until fish flakes easily with a fork. 
  3. Place onto two plates and divide any toppings remaining  on  the fillets.  Serve immediately.

Notes:

Recipe inspired by a dish served at The Fish House in Key Largo.
Calories
383.19
Fat (grams)
15.21
Sat. Fat (grams)
2.29
Carbs (grams)
22.05
Fiber (grams)
1.90
Net carbs
20.14
Sugar (grams)
17.53
Protein (grams)
39.09
Sodium (milligrams)
607.02
Cholesterol (grams)
149.46
Created using The Recipes Generator

12 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and so easy! I love using Campari tomatoes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is my favored dish when I go to the fish house in key largo. I drive one and half hour to eat there. Super fresh food.

      Delete
  2. Everything about this sounds SO good to me - I can't wait to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love when you share your dive photos, Wendy, because it looks like such fun. We've been diving so many places but have somehow missed the Florida Keys! I'm adding Florida to my list.

    How can you go wrong with fresh fish topped with warm tomato salad! Divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like the Keys for taking new divers for their open water certs. Very easy, relaxed dive location.

      Delete
  4. This dish looks so good and delicious, the campari tomatoes take this dish to another level Wedny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a delicious dish Sneha and you can use any fish that you wish.

      Delete
  5. We just made mahi mahi and loved it. We haven't made it in ages. Your recipe looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.