Friday, May 15, 2020

A Casual COVID19 visit with Charcuterie and Chateau de Poncie Le Pre Roi Fleurie #Winophiles

The Winophiles are visiting the Crus of Beaujolais.  I always thought of Beaujolais as that fun, food friendly wine that needed to be enjoyed while it was young.  I didn't even realize that there was something other than Beaujolais Nouveau.

wine


It turns out that I had a lot to learn and I and the other winophiles are anxious to share that knowledge with you.



Cindy of Grape Experiences explained the Crus very well in her invitation post, telling us that the Cru designation is only given to wines produced in a geographic restricted area that has agreed to adhere to certain, specific rules.

The Crus of Beaujolais – L'OCCASION

There are 10 crus in Beaujolais as depicted in this map provided from fellow member, Jill of L'Occasion.  I decided to taste a bottle of the Cru Fleurie from Chateau de Poncie.

Charcuterie and wine

Beaujolais Noveau and Cru Beaujolais are all made in the same region (Beaujolais) and of the same grape (Gamay).  The Noveau can be made from anywhere in the region and is made into a single wine.  There is also Beaujolais-Village which is a step higher in quality and can be blended with other village level sources.  Finally there are the Cru Beaujolais that develops it's personality from the individual terroir of the cru.

The Fleurie region is known for pink granite and thin soil which creates a wine that is fresh with a bite of pepper.  I love a peppery wine and this bottle from Chateau de Poncie was delicious.  Chateau de Poncie dates back to 949 AD and is well known for creating lovely wines.  It is currently owned by the Henriot Family Portfolio according to Wine.com.

Our daughter, Nicole and her husband Pierre and our son, Anthony, stopped by on Frank's birthday to drop off his gifts and enjoy a social distancing visit on the deck.  I made up a cheese plate featuring the Pickled Pig's Tongue I had made a few days earlier and put it out along with this bottle of Fleurie Beaujolais.

What we found most interesting was how the wine adapted to whatever we tasted from the platter.  This is an amazingly food friendly wine and at a price point of less than $25 it is perfect for those occasions when you are not sure what wine you should serve but want to complement your meal.

Join the winophiles tomorrow morning to learn more about these wines during our twitter chat at 11 AM ET.  You will find us by following #Winophiles.  Here are the topics we will be discussing.....

21 comments:

  1. You and I both had a lot to learn about Beaujolais, my friend! That platter looks delicious. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice bottle you picked Wendy! The pickled tongue, hat's off to you for making this dish. I hesitated, tasted and enjoyed it a while back. Since it's super easy for me to get here, I know what I'll share with a Beauolais cru when we can again have quests for apéro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, people are always surprised when they get up the nerve to try it and find it to their liking.

      Delete
  3. Appetizing spread! I found the Fleurie very food friendly, too - and peppery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy you loved the Fleurie, too! Such a good pairing with the appetizers you showed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for me to imagine a pairing that wouldn't work with this bottle.

      Delete
  5. Love the Covid-19 theme, causal but well put together despite the inconvenience. Fleurie is awesome so versatile. It can go causal, fish, poultry and steak. I love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you got the chance to celebrate Frank's birthday. And the Fleurie sounds like a great way to enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, sorry Wendy. It's Lauren; forgot to switch Google accounts!

      Delete
    2. Hi Lauren, the Fleurie was delicious but getting to spend some time with family, even distancing, was heaven to me.

      Delete
  7. I think you hit the nail on the head perfectly when you said " the wine adapted to whatever we tasted from the platter." They really do seem to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cru Beaujolais might be new to you, but I think you might be part French: pickled pig's tongue sounds like something I'd get in a bouchon in Lyon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the spread and especially enjoy elegant Fleurie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious and what a sweet way to celebrate a birthday in these unusual times! And Pickled Pig's Tongue - what?! I've never even heard of that despite my many years in the South, where unusual USA-grown foods abound. I've learnt something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably more common in the Midwest States where we have large Eastern European influence.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.