Sunday, October 22, 2017

Mummy Dogs #HalloweenFoodFun

We are all getting together today to have a little bit of Halloween Food n Fun, thanks to Carlee of Cooking with Carlee, who is hosting this event.

I got Ree Drummond's, Pioneer Woman Cooks a Year of Holidays, for Christmas a few years ago.  I love Ree and her cookbooks are just like her....down to earth, beautiful and uncomplicated.

Cover art

Each recipe contains tons of photos and step by step instructions.  The  cookbook starts with recipes for New Years Day and finishes with recipes for New Years Eve.  Each holiday in between has numerous recipes that are fun, simple and delicious.

Ree helped us out when Frank wanted to make Mango Margaritas.  I shared an adaptation of her Lemon Cupcakes with Lavender Frosting during a brunchweek event. I got my inspiration for Pumpkin and Cheese Ravioli from on of Ree's recipes.  I was very pleased with how this wonderful Orange Chicken turned out.  And I was proud to serve her Eggs in a Hashbrown Nest for brunch shortly after receiving this book.

So, when faced with this challenge, I went right to my bookshelf, pulled down this book and started looking for ideas.

Ree shares 8 different recipes for Halloween in this publication: Petrifying Pumpkin Pancakes, Broccoli-Cheese Soup, Mummy Dogs, Caramel Apples, Popcorn Balls, Platter of Darkness, Cheese Ball of Death and Eyeball Cake Balls.

I  decided to go with the Mummy Dogs because I thought they would be fun to make on Toddler Tuesday when we have our Little Miss Melody.


It started out okay.  She had a lot of fun, helping me to roll out the dough to make the "rag" coverings for the hot dogs.


Then, things got very confusing for her.  I had told her we were making Mummy Dogs.  When we started wrapping the dough around the dogs she said "wait, Mummy's not here yet".  She is such a smart little thing that sometimes I forget she is only 3 years old and, of course, does not have a clue what a Mummy is other than the woman who takes care of her each and every day.

This led to disappointment that she wasn't going to see Mummy until tomorrow and me trying to explain what a Mummy was.  I finally just had to break down and admit that we were just making hot dogs for dinner tonight.  That seemed to satisfy her and into the oven they went.



My Mummys didn't turn out near as perfect as Ree's but I figure she didn't have a toddler, who had no idea what a Mummy was, helping her.  We put on a couple of mustard eyes.  "Why, Grammy?"  "Why are we putting eyes on hot dogs"?  "Just so I can take a picture honey, put on the eyes and then we can eat".

Oh well, if nothing else, I will have a cute story to share with her when she is old enough to know what  a Mummy is and then perhaps we will try this little experiment again.

I will be sharing this review of Ree's Cookbook over at Foodies Read. Stop by and see what the others are reading and creating this month.

Ree's recipe uses 1/2 batch of basic dough and makes 16 Mummy Dogs.  I pulled two frozen dinner rolls and let them thaw to make 5 Mummy Dogs for Melody, Grampy and me.  You can use my dinner roll recipe, your own favorite recipe or you can buy frozen rolls or refrigerated biscuit dough at the grocers.

Mummy Dogs
inspired by The Pioneer Woman Cooks a Year of Holidays

Dough for two dinner rolls or biscuits
5 hot dogs
1 egg
Mustard for eyes


Roll out the dinner roll dough until very thin.  Cut into thin strips with a sharp knife or pizza cutter. Hold a hot dog in one hand while you wrap a strip of dough around it, leaving a space for the eyes. Wrap a second strip around, crisscrossing the first strip to nearly cover the hot dog.  

Beat the egg in a small bowl with a Tablespoon of water. Brush the egg wash over the top of each hot dog.  Bake in a preheated 375* oven for about 20 minutes, until the dough is cooked a golden brown. Add a couple of dots of mustard for the eyes and serve.  Print Recipe

More Halloween Food n Fun

14 comments:

  1. They are so cute! I love Ree's books too, and her recipes. Little Miss looks like she's having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet kids would gobble these up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww what a cute story - and they are tasty no matter how they come out so that's always a win. I've made these once before using Pillsbury crescent roll dough and they were tasty. My daughter would probably have fun with this project, and maybe she'd even eat one... you never know with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are pretty lucky so far, Melody is a good eater, however she is 3 now so that is liable to change LOL

      Delete
  4. My cousin and I were talking about these on the phone on Friday! We couldn't remember the name 'pigs in a blanket' so he called them Mummy dogs! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these! I made these last year using crescent roll dough and I faced the same questions about what a mummy was from my two kids. It was more work answering the 7000 questions than it was making them, that's for sure. They were a hit! Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, she so adorable! You're a great Grammy, Wendy! My boys love mummy dogs at Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such a cute idea!! :D I hope they had a fun Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.