I am the 5th of 6 children born to my mother. The eldest in my family is 17 yrs my senior and the youngest was born 6 years after I. It is funny when you have an age span of 24 yrs between siblings, how their memories differ. My brothers recall my mother toiling in the kitchen, canning, making homemade breads and pastries, cooking a lot of one pot meals that could stretch a little meat to feed 4 growing boys and hard working husband.
My mother was 38 when I was born. Still a very young woman but at that point had been married for 21 yrs and was getting tired. I was born in 1958, the beginning to the processed food era that released women from slaving away in the kitchen. My mother was happy to throw off the apron. My memories of childhood were frequent frozen entrees, casseroles made with condensed soups and packaged desserts. But sometimes, Mom would still bake pies using the bounty from our fruit trees, or make a dessert using store bought ingredients like this cake that I am sharing with you today.
When you make this cake you will see immediately why our Moms were so enamored with it. It takes less than a half an hour to put together, it is visually stunning and it tastes awesome!!
You start with a store bought Angel Food Cake. Cut off the top and hollow out the center. Eat the cake you removed to keep your strength up. This is a lot of hard work!
Make up a box of strawberry gelatin, using the fast set method of adding ice instead of cold water. Divide the gelatin into 2 portions. One goes into the refrigerator as is. The second portion gets whisked into a container of Cool Whip and then goes into the refrigerator. Wipe the sweat from your brow, grab a cold glass of water and catch your breath for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, slice up strawberries to make 2/3 cup.
Mix the cut strawberries into the plain gelatin and spoon into the hollowed out cake. Return the top of the cake to it's rightful position.
Remove the Cool Whip mixture from the refrigerator and
plop it onto frost the cake. Garnish with additional strawberries. It is now ready to present and serve. Go stand in front of the stove for a minute or two, until you are flushed and sweaty. Carry the cake platter out to your guests, put it down and smile as you wearily wipe the sweat from your brow.
Happy Sunday Everyone. Let's take a look at the memories being shared by the rest of the #SundaySupper family.
Please join me as we step back in time!!
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline's Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara's Multicultural Table
- Summer's Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee's Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S'mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Lime Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Mom's Rhubarb Cake by Monica's Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin' Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose: Cooking, Baking & Ranting in Small-Town South Dakota
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic