Thursday, June 30, 2016

Minestrone Salad for #CookoutWeek

It's day 4 people.  This party is nearly over.  Have you entered to win that great prize package yet?


If you haven't then you need to go to my Welcome Post right now and get your name in this fantastic drawing.  Trust me when I say you don't want to miss out on this opportunity.  Speaking of opportunity, I want to thank the wonderful family over at PinterTest Kitchen for setting this whole gig up.  It is a lot of work and I want to let them know how very much I appreciate them.

Today, I am sharing a recipe that was inspired by one in the latest edition of Cuisine at Home.  I knew as soon as I saw the title, Minestrone Salad, that I wanted to make it.  When my version turned out so incredibly good, I knew that I wanted to share it with all of you and this event gave me the perfect opportunity.


This is a great salad to use up all those bits and pieces of veggies in your crisper.
You can add any veggies or type of pasta you want, just like when you make Minestrone soup.


The dressing is a simple balsamic vinaigrette.
You could also use store bought if you want or use your favorite olive oil and vinegar dressing recipe.


This salad is topped with shredded Parmesan just like the soup of the same name.
I can see me adding some chunks of ham and salami and calling it a meal instead of a side.
It goes together in minutes and would be the perfect salad to bring to a potluck or picnic.


Minestrone Salad
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #118

6 oz. small pasta, I used shells
1 c. fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
1 c. broccoli florets
1 c. shredded carrots
1 c. summer squash, diced
1 c. zucchini, diced
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 T. garlic paste or 1 lg clove garlic, minced
1 T. Italian Herb paste or 1/2 T. dried Italian Herbs
salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan Cheese, shredded or shaved

Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.  Add the pasta and cook per package directions, adding the green beans and broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking.  Drain and rinse with cold water. Place in a large bowl with the carrots, squash, zucchini, tomatoes and kidney beans. 

Place the vinegar, olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper in a small jar with a cap.  Seal and shake until thoroughly combined.  Pour over the vegetables and pasta and toss to coat.  Pour into a serving bowl and top generously with Parmesan Cheese.  Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow flavors to meld.  Print Recipe


Here is what the rest of the crew cooked up for today.


7 comments:

  1. I love beans in a salad. This is giving me lots of inspiration!! And again a watering mouth!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could make this even easier Paula by using bottled Italian Dressing or Vinaigrette. Enjoy

      Delete
  2. Love all the components of this refreshing pasta salad! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool to be able to eat delicious Minestrone all year long! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo taking an awesome soup and turning it into a pasta salad is great!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.