The Turkeys arrived at 7 am this morning.
Facts you never knew you wanted to know about turkeys
- These baby turkeys are called poults.
- Male turkeys are called toms.
- Female turkeys are called hens.
- I will not be able to tell which are male or female for about a month.
- They all have wattles, the skin under their beak.
- The males will have snoods, the flap of skin over their beaks.
- The snoods elongate and turn bright red when the toms get excited.
- These turkeys were hatched yesterday and shipped immediately upon hatching.
- They will live in my garage until they get feathers and then will be moved to the coop.
- It will take them about 3 months to reach market weight.
- They are smart and friendly. Much better than meat chickens.
- They will attach to the farmer (me) and be very happy when I come to visit them
- As the toms get older they will start to preen and show off their tail feathers when I come out.
- They are delicious!!
Join me at List it Tuesday and see what others are talking about today.