Saturday, August 11, 2018

Albarino and Seafood Stew: the Perfect Pairing #WinePW

A delicious and beautiful seafood stew that tastes and looks like you spent hours is on the table and ready to eat in half an hour.


Paired with a wonderful Alabarino Wine from Spain this is a wonderful meal to share with those you love......
This month's wine pairing weekend is being hosted by my friend Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  I am sharing a link to her Preview Post.  When you visit this post you will learn that one of our members, Nicole of Somm's Table arranged for some of us to get a sample of the wine chosen by Cam from Gregory+Vine.



I am so pleased that I was one of the lucky recipients.  Cam had asked us to showcase crisp, white wines from Spain and/or Portugal.  I received a lovely bottle of Robalino Albarino as a sample to use in this post.  All opinions are strictly my own.



This Albarino is from the Rias Baixas region, specifically the sub region of Condado de Tea.  It pours a green tinged yellow but is more floral than grassy with a wonderful citrus background.  I loved this wine as I sipped it while cooking.



I loved it even more when I tasted it with this fresh and wonderfully full bodied Seafood Stew.  It was a pairing made in Heaven.



Before I share my recipe with you, let's visit the others and see what wines they are showcasing today.
We are all meeting on twitter today at 11 am Eastern to talk more about our pairings.  You can join in the fun by following #winePW.  Now on to my recipe......


#winepw, #winepairing, #whitewine, #whitefish, #cod, #shrimp, #seafood, #stew, #soup, #spinach, #tomatoes, #fish, #fishfridayfoodies, #shellfish, #onepotmeals
Stew, Fish, One Pot Meals, Seafood
American
Yield: 6Pin it

Easy Seafood Stew

A delicious and beautiful seafood stew that tastes and looks like you spent hours is on the table and ready to eat in half an hour.
prep time: 10 minscook time: 20 minstotal time: 30 mins

ingredients:

1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 of a large Vidalia onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Leaves from 10-15 stems of parsley, chopped
1 qt. tomatoes with juices
2 t. tomato paste
1 (8 oz) jar clam juice
1/2 c. dry white wine ( I used Albarino)
1/2 lb. cod fillets, cut into chunks
1 lb. large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 t. oregano
1/4 t. thyme
dash of hot sauce
6 oz. baby spinach
salt and pepper to taste

instructions

Heat the oil in a heavy dutch oven over med high heat.  Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Stir in parsley and cook a minute or two more.

Add the wine, and cook for a few minutes,  scraping up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.  Add the tomatoes,tomato paste, oregano, thyme and hot sauce, cook, stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes. Add the clam juice, cod and shrimp.  Lower to a simmer and cook until shrimp is pink and cod is flaky, 4-5 minutes.  Off heat, stir in the spinach until wilted.

Taste and season with additional salt and/or pepper as needed.  Serve with a good, crusty bread for sopping up the broth .
Created using The Recipes Generator

10 comments:

  1. Wendy, that stew looks amazing! And so, so perfect with the Albariño. Thanks for joining me. Salud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never know what wine to pair with what. I just drink it if I like it. Your stew looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the best way to do it Paula....Drink what you like with what you like to eat.

      Delete
  3. That stew looks delicious! I'm SURE that was a magic pairing. I also like the new recipe look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful pairing, Wendy. I always enjoy your recipes and the narrative on how you created them. Cheers to another winner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Albarino! one of my favorite varietals. I've had the Robalino Albarino in the past and have loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.