Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato Salad #KitchenMatrixCookingProject

Garden Ripe Tomatoes tossed with Crunchy Romaine Lettuce and laced with Smoky Bacon Bits, this salad is like a BLT minus the bread.


Is there anything better in the world than freshly picked Tomatoes?   Not in my world........


 I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE tomatoes fresh from the garden.  I don't have a garden myself but our daughter Nicole and her husband, Pierre, do and they are very generous with their bounty.

The other day they provided me with 4 large heirloom tomatoes and a gallon bag filled to the hilt with these sweet, delicious cherry tomatoes.  The cherry tomatoes were like eating candy.  Each time I would walk by I would grab a handful.  


When Cam, of Culinary Adventures with Camilla, asked me to pick the items to explore in our Kitchen Matrix Cooking Project for this month I knew I wanted to go with seasonal harvest.

August is such a great month for gardens in Michigan.  Everything comes into season during August and the farmer's markets and roadside stands are overflowing with zucchini, sweet corn, cukes and tomatoes.


The Kitchen Matrix Cooking Project was started when Cam asked our friend Karen and me if we wanted to join her on a journey cooking from the cookbook written by Mark Bittman.  We would post a recipe each week, using themes chosen by the three of us and inspired by the cookbook.  It has been fun.  

We thought we would generate more interest and thus more members as time went on but, alas, here it is August and it is still just the cozy, little, three of us.  

It's not too late though!  If you want to join in the fun, we post each Tuesday and the next two Tuesdays themes are White Fish on 8/21 and Paillards, a fancy name for Cutlets, on 8/28.  You can find most of Bittman's recipes and ideas on this website.  Just make a recipe inspired by Bittman and add it to the links.



Speaking of links, let's see what Cam and Karen made featuring tomatoes this week.




And now on to this easy peasy recipe that I have made three times already this month.  The first as a side salad with kebabs when having guests for dinner.  The next two times as dishes to share at potlucks.  It was a hit each and every time.



#salad, #bacon, #tomatoes, #quick, #easy, #potluck, #farmstand,
Salad, Potluck,
American
Yield: 4-6Pin it

Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Salad

Garden Ripe Tomatoes tossed with Crunchy Romaine Lettuce and laced with Smoky Bacon Bits, this salad is like a BLT minus the bread.

ingredients:

1 lg. head Romaine Lettuce
1 lb. Tomatoes, any size, cut into bite size pieces
bacon bits, homemade (using 5-6 strips) or store bought 
1/3 c. miracle whip (or mayo)
2 T. white wine vinegar
1 t. sugar
pepper to taste

instructions

Tear up the lettuce and place in a bowl with the tomatoes and bacon bits.  Whisk together the Miracle Whip, vinegar, sugar and pepper.  Pour onto to BLT mixture and toss to coat.  

NOTES:

Inspired by The Kitchen Matrix Cookbook by Mark Bittman
Created using The Recipes Generator





6 comments:

  1. I still haven't figure out how I didn't notice that recipe in the line-up. LOL. But I'm glad that you and Karen did. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great minds! Even down to the cherry tomatoes and Miracle Whip! This salad was good! You’ll definitely want to try the sherry vinegar when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet Karen. The white wine vinegar was a good substitute though.

      Delete
  3. This can be a real go-to if one is avoiding the toast in a BLT. Like me. I'd probably use Dukes mayo (I am a devoted convert) but Mom always loved Miracle Whip. I just pulled in a huge mixing bowl of tomatoes from the garden too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.