Monday, September 19, 2022

Coconut Biscuits for A Few Right Thinking Men

This is a historical fiction novel set in New South Wales during the depression.  It is a political novel revolving around 3 factions, the Old Guard (read Republicans), the New Guard (read Trumpsters) and the Unionists (read Democrats).  There are also some Communists in the story but most of them are not really communists but are just accused of such by the New Guard, and looked at suspiciously by the Old Guard.

A Few Right Thinking Men
Sound familiar?  Yes.....It seems that we never learn from our past not only in our Country but throughout the world.  I usually enjoy historical fiction.  This book, however, did not give me the relaxation and escape that I look for in books.  It hit a little close to home.

I was disappointed because I had recently finished The Woman in the Library by the same author and had LOVED it.  I didn't NOT like this book but I found my mind wandering as I listened to it while I walked.  I did like some of the characters but I never became invested in their lives.

There was not a lot of food in the story but, of course, there were meals shared.  Most often mentioned were biscuits and tea.  I did a search for Australian Biscuits (read cookies) and found this easy peasy recipe to make during the kitchen remodel.

Coconut Cookies



These cookies only take 5 ingredients that you mix together by hand. It actually took me 6 ingredients because I didn't have self rising flour so added a teaspoon of baking powder to the mixture. Perfect for when you don't have a kitchen.  I did, however, have a new double wall oven that was hooked up and just waiting to be used!!!!!

Oven


We leave for vacation bright and early tomorrow morning, well dark and early.......we leave the house at 3 am.  So, no Weekly Menu this week......I'll be eating and drinking Island Style!!!!





Desserts, Cookies, Coconut, Quick, Easy
Cookies
Australian
Yield: 18 cookies
Author: Wendy Klik
Coconut Cookies

Coconut Cookies

Only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes time before you are serving up these delicious cookies.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 15 MinTotal time: 20 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. self rising flour (or 1 c. AP flour +1 t. baking powder)
  • 1 c. flaked coconut
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 stick butter, melted and cooled

Instructions

  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon
  2. Using a large cookie scoop, place onto baking sheets and bake in a preheated 350* oven for 15 minutes, until edges are crisp and golden brown.
  3. Cool on trays for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Australia's Best Recipes

Nutrition Facts

Calories

147.53

Fat (grams)

8.53

Sat. Fat (grams)

6.03

Carbs (grams)

17.25

Fiber (grams)

0.94

Net carbs

16.31

Sugar (grams)

11.47

Protein (grams)

1.51

Sodium (milligrams)

45.84

Cholesterol (grams)

22.59

No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.