Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Pannekaker and a Book Review #BreadBakers

These thin, crepe like pancakes are commonly served in Norway for breakfast topped with your favorite jam.


We are celebrating Scandinavian Breads this month with our Bread Bakers group and as luck would have it I was reading a fun little book set partially in Norway......

Felice of All That is Left is the Crumbs invited us to join her in making Scandinavian Breads for this month's Bread Bakers challenge.  I had originally planned on doing Pulla but that is a Finnish recipe and Felice instructed:
"Scandinavian bread culture has existed in Norway, Sweden, and Denmark from prehistoric time through to the present. Show us your best Scandinavian Bread! For this theme I have chosen the traditional three countries that make up Scandinavia - Norway, Sweden, and Denmark."
I changed my recipe to Pannekaken as I was reading The Witches by Roald Dahl which is a story about a young boy who lives in England.  He and his parents are on the way to visit his Grandmother in Norway when an accident occurs and his parents are killed.

I will tell you more about this story but first, back to Bread Bakers and the wonderful Scandinavian breads being shared today......
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. This month the Bread Bakers are making Scandinavian Breads, a theme chosen by Felice from All That's Left Are The Crumbs.
BreadBakers

Every culture has it's own version of Pancakes.  Ours here in the USA are light, fluffy and thick.  Pannekaken are more like Swedish Pancakes or French Crepes.  What is the difference between them?  I think just the name and the location they are served.  Perhaps the toppings vary by location as well.  Also Crepes are often served savory while Pannekaken is not.   Pannekaken and Swedish Pancakes (Pannkakor) are also slightly thicker than Crepes.


Pannekaker are normally topped with fruit or jam.  Our son makes jams and sells them at the local Farmer's Markets.  They are amazing and I chose his Blueberry Basil as a topping for these Norwegian Pancakes.

Now back to this fun little book that is aimed at children but great for adults as well.  Roald Dahl is also the author of over 45 books including Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda and James and the Giant Peach.  

Image result for roald dahl the witches

I ordered this book up from the library because I thought it was going to be this month's selection for my Lit Happens group.  Then, Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures changed her mind and chose Stargirl instead.  

That just shows how things happen though because I had already started reading this when Felice advised me that my original choice for Bread Bakers was a no go and I needed to choose a recipe from Norway, Sweden or Denmark.  I was just at the part where the Grandson and Grandmother, both of whom are never named, are dealing with the death of the parents and Grandmother is assuring the Grandson that he will stay with her.

There is a lot more to this story, of course.  Grandmother shares all of her knowledge about witches and there is lots of high adventure and magic as they work together to stop all the witches of the world who are looking to destroy all the children.

I decided to look up Norwegian Breads and came across this recipe at Allrecipes.com.  It was submitted by in da wings who wrote:
"My Norwegian grandmother made this for us as a treat, and it continues to be a favorite my mother makes for my kids."
So while the book itself does not mention Pannekaken it is all about Grandma's and Grandchildren so my choice was made.

Do yourself a favor and pick up this book.  If you have age appropriate children or grandchildren spend time reading it with them.  Perhaps while you snack on some of these delicious Pannekaken!


I am sharing this post over at Foodies Read.  Stop by and see what the others are reading and cooking up this month.




#breakfast, #pancakes, #international,
Breakfast, Breads, Pancakes
Scandinavian
Yield: 4 servings
Author:

Pannekaken (Norwegian Pancakes)

Pannekaken (Norwegian Pancakes)

prep time: 5 Mcook time: 5 Mtotal time: 10 M
These thin, crepe like pancakes are commonly served in Norway for breakfast topped with your favorite jam.

ingredients:

  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 t. sugar
  • butter
  • jam of choice

instructions:

How to cook Pannekaken (Norwegian Pancakes)

  1. Place the eggs, milk, flour, sugar and salt into a blender and puree until smooth.
  2. Place a skillet over med high heat, melt a small amount of butter into the pan and tilt to coat.  Pour about 1/4 c. of batter into the pan and tilt and swirl until bottom is covered.  Let cook until the top bubbles and dries., about half a minute.  Flip and cook other side for a few more seconds.
  3. Remove to a plate and keep warm while repeating with remaining batter. Fold pannekaken into triangles and top with your favorite jam.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at AllRecipes.com
Calories
249.22
Fat (grams)
7.65
Sat. Fat (grams)
3.62
Carbs (grams)
33.18
Fiber (grams)
0.90
Net carbs
32.28
Sugar (grams)
8.46
Protein (grams)
11.07
Sodium (milligrams)
151.62
Cholesterol (grams)
151.71
Created using The Recipes Generator

11 comments:

  1. I thought I had read all of Roald Dahl's books but this is one I must have missed. He is one of my favorite authors! It's funny how things work out for sure. That jam sounds wonderful, Wendy. I wish I had some now, along with your pannekaker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I tried his blueberry basil and it is a keeper.

      Delete
  2. Me too, one I have not read yet! Sadly, all my family loves fluffy pancakes and I never get good crepey cakes unless I go out and order them. But I've always loved them, I get it from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom used to make "thin" pancakes for us, sprinkle them with sugar and roll them up. She never called them anything other that thin pancakes.

      Delete
  3. I'm not familiar with this book either. It sounds interesting, and I'm so glad you punted and baked along! I can never make a decent crepe, so I'll have to try yours. I just need some of that jam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pancakes look really delicious. Wish I had some right now!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is a double whammy for me. The pancakes are awesome. Such lovely colour and flavours. I really love the fact that you son makes jam. We are in the fruit belt and I make jams too.And, the best thing is that you have given me a great idea to gift this Roald Dahl book to my daughter post exams as she is a great fan of this great author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pancakes,look so delicate and delicious! Lovely write of the book Wendy, enjoyed reading your post.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.