Friday, November 9, 2018

A Book Review and the Weekly Menu

2 more weeks before Thanksgiving.  Does that make anyone else go into panic mode?  Not because of Thanksgiving but because that means it is the start of the Christmas Season.  Holy cow time is moving quickly around here.

I am still finding time to relax a bit though.  I am thoroughly loving a couple of new dramas on television, namely New Amsterdam and A Million Little Reasons.  We dvr them so I'm not sure what days and times they play but you should look them up.  They are great shows.

Image result for parent talk chick moorman

I have also found some time to read....... 

Our daughter, Jessica, has our Angel Face in a Montessori School.  Jessica likes and respects the owner/teacher very much.  When the teacher recommended that her parents read Parent Talk by Chick Moorman, Jessica went out and picked it up.  She then asked our daughter, Amy, and I to read the book as well.  Amy and I are also caregivers for the Little Miss and her mama likes for us all to be on the same page.

I ordered the book up from the library.  It is an older book and had to be brought in from another library system.  I didn't expect to enjoy the book.  I did.  I didn't expect to learn anything new, having already raised so many children.  I did.  I didn't expect to review this book on my blog.  I am.  I didn't expect to recommend this book to parents and grandparents of all ages.  I am.  

The author is a native of Michigan where I live.  I intend to look him up and find his speaking schedule.  I would love to be able to attend one of his seminars.

Having just recently acquired a new teen that I need to help find her voice, this book was priceless.  I was immediately able to try some of the techniques used in the book for several different circumstances and they worked perfectly.  I was able to empower my new teen, promote self respect and help her to make her own decisions instead of telling her what she should do.  Each time she makes her own decisions, even simple decisions like what she should order in a restaurant, I am helping her to see how strong and capable she really is.  

I don't know how much I needed this book for the Angel Face because she is lucky enough to have a very good Mama and a huge village that keeps her feeling secure, safe and self assured.  My teen didn't have that but I hope that, with the help of this book, she will have that in the future.

We will keep plugging away and try to normalize family life for her.  It is keeping us busy, for sure.  

Sunday we have a special Mass for Marissa and all the Confirmation candidates.  This is followed by a class that she will attend.  After the class we will be going to see the stage play of Escanaba in the Moonlight at our local theater, followed by dinner out.

The rest of the week is filled with various appointments.  Friday night we are going to dinner at Amy's house to celebrate the anniversary of the Angel Face's Christening.

Please stop by each day as I share our lives, our recipes and our photos with you.

Saturday
Chicken Marsala
Fettuccine Alfredo
Glazed Carrots

Sunday
Out to dinner after Theater

Meatless Monday
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches 
Tomato Soup

Taco Tuesday
Pinto Bean Tacos

Wednesday
Stuffed Cabbage (moved from last week)
Mashed Potatoes
Corn

Thursday
Eggplant Parmesan Casserole

Friday
Dinner at Amy's 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.