Saturday, June 11, 2016

Seafood Boil featuring Domaine Houchart Côtes de Provence Rosé 2015 #WinePW

This month's Wine Pairing Weekend is being hosted by Nancy of Pull That Cork.  Nancy chose the theme Rosé.  You can learn all about #WinePW as we commonly refer to it and her choice of theme in her invitation post.

A year ago I would have shuddered with dread at this theme that was before I found out that rosé wine is not the same as white zinfandel, the sweet wine from California that my parents and mother in law liked to drink.  Then, another group to which I belong, #TheFrenchWinophiles, assigned us the Provence area of France which is known for it's rosé wines.  I tried a wine from La Sangliére and was very surprised and pleased at the bright, crisp flavor. 

For this month's theme, I went right back to Provence.  Provence is known for it Mediterranean climate and it's abundance of fresh seafood.  I knew that this wine from Domaine Houchart was going to pair wonderfully with the seafood boil we were having with our diving friends. 


This winery is owned by the Quiot family and has a very interesting history.  I am glad that the wine purveyor that I visited when we went to Eastern Market last week recommended it and I am happy to share it with you now along with our wonderful and successful seafood boil.  The Domaine Houchart Rosé is bone dry and citrusy.  Almost a little tart.  It cut through the richness of the buttery seafood beautifully. 

A seafood boil is an easy and casual way to throw a party.  You can feed a lot of people with little effort.  For our seafood boil, I cooked the clams and mussels separately as one of our guests has an allergy to mollusks and I did not want to contaminate the entire boil for her.  We also served burgers for those who are allergic or don't care for seafood.


I was making enough to serve approx. 35 people.  You will adjust the size of your cooking vessel and amounts of food according to your needs.  We borrow this handy dandy huge cooking pot that runs on propane for John and Kirsten when we have a boil.  I used 2 large packets of Zatarain's seasoning.  I add the potatoes, lemon, salt and seasoning mix pot and fill with cold water. Bring the water to a boil and cook for 7-10 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes, before adding the other food.  After 7 minutes I added the corn and lobster tails.  2 minutes later I added the crab claws and shrimp.  After 2 more minutes we turned the fire off while I finished up the mollusks.


The clams and mussels are steamed in wine, butter and lemon juice.  Bring the liquids to a boil add the clams and mussels, cover and cook until they open.  Discard any that do not open and serve.


It took two strong men to lift the basket from the pot and allow it to drain.  We then empty the basket directly onto a table that was covered with butcher paper.  We melted butter and place it in squeeze bottles set next to the seafood and invited people to dig in.


Our boil was a huge success.  We had a lot of fun eating, drinking, reminiscing about past trips and planning future trips.  Several of us enjoyed the Domaine Houchart with our dinner as others enjoyed beer, soft drinks and rum punches. 

Seafood Boil for a Crowd

6 lbs. baby red potatoes
2 (3 oz) pkgs. crab boil spice mix (I used Zatarain's)
2 lemons quartered
2 c. salt
15 ears corn, husked and halved
1 rock lobster tail per person (I had 30)
3 lbs. stone crab claws
3 lbs. cherrystone clams
2 lbs. mussels
3 lbs. shrimp

Place the potatoes, seasoning mix, salt and lemons into a large pot and cover with cold water so that the pot is filled halfway.  Heat over high flame until boiling.  Let boil for 7 minutes.  Add the lobster tails and corn.  Let boil for 2 more minutes, add the crab, clams and mussels and boil 2 minutes longer.  Add the shrimp, turn off the heat and let remain in hot water until shrimp are pink, about 2-3 minutes.  Drain and pour onto a table covered with butcher paper or newspapers.  Serve with lots of melted butter and some good crusty bread.

Let's find out what Rosé's the other chose to share with us today.


  • Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla pairs Rose Petal-Strawberry Granita with Luc Belaire Rare Rosé
  • Cindy from Grape Experiences will share Wine and Dine: Galil Mountain Rose and Mixed Olive Tapenade
  • Jill from L’occasion is contemplating Provençal Rosé and a Summer Supper
  • Martin from Enofylz Wine Blog pairs Chicken and Sausage Paella Paired with a Unicorn Rosé
  • Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm prepares a Seafood Boil featuring Domaine Houchart Cotes de Provence Rose 2015 #WinePW
  • Jade from Tasting Pour shares Labneh (Kefir) Cheescake with Strawberries & Del Rio Rose Jolee
  • Michelle from Rockin Red Blog will be Kicking Off Summer with National Rosé Day
  • David from Cooking Chat pairs Grilled Arctic Char with Pineapple Salsa
  • Lori from Dracaena Wines discusses Are You Impatient? You Could Have Created Rosé
  • Lauren from The Swirling Dervish considers Where Sicily and Mendoza Meet: Stuffed Roasted Calamari and 2015 Perlita Rosado. June's #winePW Adventure
  • Meaghan from Un Assaggio shares Cheeky Pairings: Cod Burger + Rosé #WinePW
  • Gwendolyn from Art Predator travels Around the World With Rose
  • Nancy from Pull That Cork will pair A Corsican Rosé and Summer Veggie Pizza for #winePW
Our posts will publish early on Saturday, June 11, then we will gather at 11 am Eastern Time (8 am Pacific) on Twitter to chat about the food and wine pairings we prepared. Please consider joining the conversation by following #winePW on Twitter. Our July event will be hosted by Jeff at foodwineclick, who has chosen Pairings with Sherry as the theme.





18 comments:

  1. Summertime seafood boils are the best! We have a few planned for this summer, too. Sounds like a great wine. I'll have to track it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh, I wish I could have crashed this party! Your boil looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I would love to have you crash one of my parties. Bring dessert LOL>

      Delete
  3. Oh, my gosh, I wish I could have crashed this party! Your boil looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you have come around with Rosé! Such a versatile wine. And looks perfect with your seafood boil! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow 35 people and it looks like you rocked it! Great job! I wonder how difficult it is for people to separate the White Zinfandel phenomenon from Rosé.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss low country boils. My engagement party was a low country. We did it with shrimp in GA and crawfish in AR

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seafood boil and rose scream SUMMER! I love this idea- just perfect! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! Sounds amazing! I would love it all. Even the wine!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A rose with seafood boil sounds great Wendy. Funny I've had a seafood boil on my mind for a while now. Thanks for showing me the way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh wow!! Is there anything more divine in life than a seafood boil?!? It is lobster season where I grew up and I am going through serious withdrawal at the moment. There is nothing better, or messier, than gathering friends and family around the table for fresh boiled seafood!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.