Monday, June 27, 2016

Jamaican Me Hungry Muffins for #CookoutWeek on #MuffinMonday

Hello and welcome to the first day of #CookoutWeek 2016.  You can learn all about this event and enter to win some great prizes by going to my Welcome Post.  This event is being hosted by the gals over at The PinterTest Kitchen, so you know it is going to be great!!


I love these events because I get to know so many new bloggers and I get a ton of great ideas for recipes and entertaining.  We grill out nearly every day in the summer so I know that I am going to be coming back to these posts time and time again to try the new recipes that are linked at the end of each post.



When you read my Welcome Post and Entered the Giveaway...You already did that, right?  Good. Then you know that Swine Dining is one of our generous sponsors.  They provided me with some Wimpy's BBQ Rub, Dilly Dust and Jamiacan Me Hungry Seasoning.  All of these products are handmade in small batches, packaged up by people not machines and sent along with a handwritten thank you letter.  Guess which one I used in today's recipe?  I'll give you a hint....look at the title of my muffins.

In the welcome letter that came with these spices was a sentence that read "I appreciate your honest opinion".  That was the only request in exchange for these products that they generously supplied to me as part of this event.  This is good because I only write and share what I believe to be true here on my blog.  You can rely on that.

I find, when doing these week long events, that it is much easier and I save a lot of time and energy if I cook an entire meal and share one recipe from that meal each day.  That is what I am doing this time.  My menu for this meal is:


  • True Made Rootbeer Pulled Pork 
  • Dilled Coleslaw
  • Minestrone Salad
  • Jamaican Me Hungry Muffins
  • Ginger and Rose Cupcakes
This meal was fantabulous!!!  I served it during one of my husband's classes and it was a huge hit.  I am sharing the muffins first because....It is #MuffinMonday folks.

Those of you who are regular readers know that I like to join Stacy of Food Lust People Love on the last Monday of each month to share a muffin recipe.  If you love muffins you need to stop by and see 
all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.


These spicy muffins have a delicious nutty flavor from the flax seeds with just a touch of sweetness.
They paired wonderfully with the Pulled Pork.  When I opened the Jamaican Spice jar I smelled so many wonderful flavors, I knew that they were going to be perfect in a muffin and I was soooooo right.


The recipe I am sharing makes 18 muffins.  They are also wonderful as a snack or to grab on your way out the door for breakfast.  They freeze well and keep for several days in a sealed airtight container on the counter.


I cannot begin to tell you how much I love these muffins.  With my first bite I thought "uhoh, I'm not sure about the flax seed" but then I got that crunchy nutty goodness and ate not one, but two muffins...just for testing purposes....yeah, that's it...I had to make sure the whole batch was as wonderful as the first muffin.  I didn't feel to guilty though because not only do these muffins have the added health benefits from the flax seed but I also snuck in some zucchini for added nutrition. You're welcome.

Stop by tomorrow when I share my recipe for Dilled Coleslaw and make sure you take a gander at all the other recipes being shared by our #CookoutWeek crew and our #MuffinMonday makers.

Jamaican Me Hungry Muffins

2 c. shredded zucchini
1/3 c. water
1/3 c. canola oil
3 eggs, beaten
1 t. vanilla
2 3/4 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. flax seeds
1 1/4 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
2 t. Jamaican Me Hungry spice mix (or a mixture of your favorite spices)

In a small bowl mix together the zucchini, water, oil, egg and vanilla.  In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, flax seeds, soda, salt and spice mixture.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients stirring just until combined and all dry ingredients are moistened.  

Divide evenly among 18 muffin tins that have been lined with papers or treated with baking spray. Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

Here's what's Cooking at #CookoutWeek


An InLinkz Link-up



More Marvelous Muffins




20 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Jamaican Me Hungry spice mix, Wendy. It sounds most intriguing! Very creative muffins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stacy, I hadn't either but loved it. I will be going to their etsy shop to order more.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic savory side dish - I can almost imagine the smell!! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what's in this spice mix? Is it like a dry jerk seasoning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Kelly, the sample jar I received did not contain a list of ingredients. Brown sugar for sure and probably cinnamon and allspice. Just a touch of a kick so maybe some crushed red pepper. It is meant to be used as a rub.

      Delete
  4. These muffins look great, but I am excited for the rest of the week, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Abbe. I love these events put together by PinterTest Kitchen gals.

      Delete
  5. These look like muffins I would eat and not stop. Your cute, catchy name makes them sound even better!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy,
    What a terrific use of a spice rub! And (more importantly to me) ZUCCHINI! I've already gotten some zucchini and yellow squash in the farm share, which seems way too early to be but whatever. I made a tasty baked breaded stick + sweet onion dipping sauce out of King Arthur's Flourish that the whole family enjoyed.
    Back to muffins--they look great, and savory muffins are something I need more of in my life.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsten. One can never have too many zucchini recipes.

      Delete
  7. "For testing purposes." Riiiight! I actually love flax seeds and use them a lot in my breads. Your muffins sound wonderful! The shot of the sliced muffins look absolutely healthy. Great excuse to have two.... or three!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have baby zucchini growing now. Soon I'll be up to my eyeballs in it and this recipe will come in handy. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we will all need tons of zucchini recipes very soon.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow those sound like the perfect side for BBQ this weekend~

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.