Thursday, April 14, 2016

Getting Ready for our Caribbean Getaway

We were scheduled to go out to dinner Tuesday night with our friends, the Douma's, but work called for Helen and she is back on the east coast for a week so we are shooting for May now.

We have been trying to get together with our friends, the Benda's, for a couple of months now so when we had an opening in our schedule we decided to see if they were free and to our delight they were!

I hadn't put anything on the menu as we were going out so I decided to serve an Island Feast just to rub it in celebrate that we are heading to Bonaire early Saturday morning.  I am very excited, so my mind is stuck on Island life.  I love this meal that I am sharing with you today.  I found it over twelve years ago in an issue of Cuisine at Home and have been making variations of it ever since.  I have shared portions of it with you in the past.  The Caribbean Spice Rub and the Mango Mojo Salsa work with any cut of pork and is delicious on chicken too.  The Black Beans and Rice is a perfect side for this dish or any Island style meal.


I haven't made this using pork tenderloin in a long while.  This is because when I have my own hogs slaughtered, I don't want to give up any of the chops to get the tenderloins.  Since I hadn't taken anything out of the freezer for tonight I decided I would pick up some tenderloins because they are so quick, easy and delicious.  I am sharing with you, not only the Island Pork Tenderloin but also a recipe for Fried Plantains that are a perfect side dish for this meal.  I am also sharing a recipe for Lime Pickled Onions to serve along with the meal and, of course, no Island Meal is complete without a cocktail so I am sharing a Mojito recipe as well.  Enjoy, my friends....


Island Pork Tenderloin with Lime Pickled Onions

Island Pork Tenderloin
slightly adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #45

2 pork tenderloins, trimmed and silver skin removed
1 T. paprika
1 T. chili powder
1 T. oregano paste
1 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
Juice from 1 large or 2 small oranges
Juice form 1 small lime
1 clove garlic, minced
large pinch of kosher salt
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
2 T. honey
1  T. olive oil

Mix together paprika, chili powder, oregano, olive oil, salt and crushed red pepper.  Massage mixture into tenderloins on both sides.  Let sit at room temperature for half an hour before grilling.

Combine orange juice, lime juice, garlic, salt, jalapeno, honey and olive oil.  Set aside.

Heat grill to med high heat.  Place tenderloins on grill and after 3 minutes baste with juice mixture. Allow to cook another 5 minutes and baste again.  Flip over and baste other side, let cook for another 12-15 minutes, basting 3 or 4 times.  When internal temperature of thickest portion of tenderloin reaches 145* remove from grill onto a platter.  Tent with foil and rest for 5 minutes.  Cut into 2" thick portions and serve topped with Lime Pickled Onions and Mango Mojo Salsa.  Print Recipe

Lime Pickled Onions
source: Cuisine at Home

3 T. fresh lime juice
1 T. sugar
1 t. kosher salt
2 grinds fresh pepper
1 c. red onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings

Stir together juices, sugar. salt and pepper until sugar dissolves.  Place in a resealable plastic bag. Add onions and seal bag.  Chill at least one hour or up to one night, turning occasionally.  Print Recipe



Fried Plantains
slightly adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #45

3 Plantains, medium-ripe, peeled and quartered
2 T. Coconut Oil

Melt coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the plantains and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.  Sprinkle with salt and serve.  Print Recipe


Mojitos
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue # 45

1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 c. fresh lime juice
3/4 c. white rum
1/4  151 proof rum
Ice
Club soda

Muddle sugar, mint and lime juice in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.  Add both rums, fit shaker with a strainer. Cap the shaker and shake well until combined and sugar is dissolved.  Strain the mixture into 4 tall glasses that are filled with ice.  Top with club soda, garnish with lime slices and mint sprigs.  Print Recipe



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! This is the meal I want if I ever come to visit you!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.