Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Yummy Vegetables for Blogger CLUE Society

It is with a heavy heart that I am posting this last edition of Blogger CLUE Society.  It has been a wonderful group in which to participate but alas all good things must come to an end.  Our friends and leaders, Christiane of Taking on Magazines and Liz of That Skinny Chick can Bake have other obligations and no longer have the time necessary to run this group.  I want to send out a huge thank you to them for all their hard work and effort on our behalf.  I have made a lot of great blogger friends in this group and I am sure we will be running into each other frequently in "blogland".


This month's theme was Yummy Vegetables and I was assigned to Lisa of  Authentic Suburban Gourmet.  I was planning a party featuring drinks and appetizers so I knew what direction I wanted to go when I entered into Lisa's blog.  I absolutely hit the jackpot when I searched under appetizer.  Lisa has nearly 200 appetizers listed!  This is due, in a large part, to a weekly posting she does each week called Friday Night Bites.  

Oh my gosh, you guys......there are some great recipes.  The very first thing I saw, upon opening Lisa's blog, was a recipe for a Spring Pea and Parmesan Crostini YUM!  I almost stopped right there but then I thought I should go through her blog a bit and am I glad I did.  I found several recipes that I pinned like this Tomato, Corn and Avocado Bruschetta.  I cannot wait for corn and tomato season so I can make this dish.  Or how about Apple, Gorgonzola and Pecan Salad served up on Endive?  That almost made it onto my appetizer buffet but then I saw this great recipe for  Cast Iron Skillet Salsa. Talk about Yummy Vegetables.  Just look at those tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers and shallots charring up in my cast iron skillet!!


Not only is it chock full of Yummy Vegetables but it is a perfect recipe in my book.  Yep, Folks, this recipe is Easy, Peasy and Delicious.  I make a lot of salsa around here and I love the Salsa that I can each year.  Last year I made up some Zesty Peach Salsa that was great.  For those who don't like tomatoes, although I can't believe there are people out there that don't, you can make up this Corn and Avocado Salsa.  These are all great recipes but I have to say, this Cast Iron Skillet Salsa is going to become my new go to and I think I see some large batches for canning in my future this fall.


Thanks Lisa for this great recipe.  I can't wait to try the others that I have bookmarked.  Thanks again to the ladies who started and ran this wonderful Blogger CLUE Society for over a year now.  Your efforts were very much appreciated.

Cast Iron Skillet Salsa
very slightly adapted from: The Authentic Suburban Gourmet

6 Roma Tomatoes, halved
3 Tomatillos, husks removed and fruit washed
2 Jalapenos, stemmed, halved and seeded
2 large shallots, peeled and halved
1 T. olive oil
salt to taste
1-2 t. sugar, if desired

Heat a large, dry cast iron skillet over med high heat.  Add 6 halves of the tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapenos and shallots.  Cook until vegetables start to char, turning as needed to get char on all sides. Transfer charred vegetables to a food processor and pulse until combined.  Add the remaining tomatoes, olive oil and salt.  Pulse until combined.  Taste and add sugar if desired.  Print Recipe





6 comments:

  1. It was an amazing ride! You found a great salsa... Anytime tomatillos are involved it is bound to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Wendy... what a nice post. I'm so happy to have been a part of this group, otherwise I would never have met you! And I would never have seen this salsa. Skillet salsa with tomatillos? I'm not sure it gets much better than that. Thanks for this closing post, I will miss our group.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.