Monday, December 28, 2015

Just another #MuffinMonday

#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

It is the brainchild of my friend Stacy who has a wonderful blog named Food Lust People Love.  The next time you want to get a dose of happiness you should run over to her blog and check it out.  Stacy shares her family, life and recipes with posts filled with love and humor.


This month when it came to be time to bake for Muffin Monday I walked into the kitchen and found 3 very ripe bananas on the counter and a bag of cranberries left from Thanksgiving in the refrigerator. I had bought two bags of cranberries and then Frank, not knowing I had bought them, bought another 2 bags, so we had cranberries coming out of our ears.  



Muffin Monday


I used 2 bags for my cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving day, one bag for a delicious Cocoa Cranberry Tart and the last bag was used for the wonderful light muffins with a burst of tart cranberries in every bite.  This recipe comes from Taste of Home.  I made them just as written but omitted the nuts.  The recipe said it would make 14 muffins, without the nuts I got an even dozen.






Banana Cranberry Muffin
very slightly adapted from Taste of Home reader Gretchen Zoch.

1 (12 oz) bag cranberries
1 2/3 c. sugar, divided
1 c. water
1/3 c. shortening
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. baking soda
3 ripe bananas

Place cranberries, 1 c. sugar and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook for 5-10 minutes, until cranberries start to pop.  Drain and set cranberries aside.

In large bowl of stand mixer, cream the shortening with the remaining 2/3 c. sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each.  Combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the bananas. Fold in the cranberries.

Divide the batter between 12 greased or paper lined muffin cups.  Bake in a preheated 400* oven for 18-22 minutes or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

More Muffins to Enjoy this Monday Morning

#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board.

Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

15 comments:

  1. Perfect for the season, Wendy! I love the cranberry banana combo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 1 1/2 bags of cranberries in my refrigerator - and ripe bananas - this recipe has my name all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy,
    I keep throwing fresh cranberries into smoothies so I am almost out. I love the idea of cooking then using the cranberries--I've never tried that. I bet the drained sweetened cranberry water would be good in tea, too.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cranberry muffins!! YUM, my all time favorite, and knowing how you cook/bake, I bet they are even better than all the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never have too many cranberries! I kind of hoard them during the season, even without my husband's assistance. Good idea leaving out the nuts, who needs to wash another pan! These look delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband isn't crazy about nuts in his baked goods so I normally omit them.

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of Muffin Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whip some up and join us on the last Monday of each month Paula.

      Delete
  7. I love the idea of sweet bananas and tart cranberries together - these sound super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adding cranberries to banana bread is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.