Monday, January 29, 2018

Banana Craisin Muffins with Streusel Topping #MuffinMonday

While digging through my freezer for some hamburger, I came across a package of two black bananas that I had thrown into a baggy after they had over-ripened on my counter.

My stomach immediately started growling for banana bread. I love the fact that you can just throw the entire over ripe banana, peel and all, into a freezer bag, plop it in the freezer and forget about it. It's such a great and welcome surprise when you remember you have them.  Especially when Muffin Monday, hosted by Stacy of Food Lust People Love,  happens each and every last Monday of the month.



Since there were only 2 small bananas, not enough for banana bread, I made muffins.  And my tummy was very happy with breakfast that morning.

I love making muffins for breakfast.  They take only minutes and they start your day off with a smile. I added some craisins to these banana muffins and a streusel topping because.....streusel!!!


So when you get around to your New Year's Resolution to clean out that freezer (isn't that on everyone's list?), pull out those bananas and reward yourself with these delicious muffins.  You deserve it.


Another thing I really love about this recipe is that it only makes 6 muffins.  That is perfect for those of us who have resolved to start eating in moderation this year as well.  This is important because, trust me, you are going to want to keep eating these until they are gone.  Hold yourself back so that your family and friends can enjoy them as well.

Banana Craisin Muffins with Streusel Topping

1 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 c. sour cream
2 T. butter, melted
2 small, very ripe bananas
1/2 c. craisins
2 T. brown sugar
1 1/2 T. flour
1 T. butter, room temperature

In large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, soda and cinnamon.  Make a well in the center.

In small bowl, whisk together the egg, sour cream, melted butter and bananas.  Pour into the well in the center of the dry ingredients and stir just until incorporated.  Stir in the craisins and divide between a 6 cup muffin pan that has been treated with baking spray.

Combine with brown sugar, flour and room temperature butter until crumbly.  Sprinkle over the muffin batter in the cups.

Bake in a preheated 375* oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

More Magnificent Monday Muffins

Muffin Monday



#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

6 comments:

  1. Muffins are wonderful for breakfast, and they are so portable! These sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whaaaatup? A six muffin recipe is perfect for our two-person household! And I love that you added Craisins® and, the perfect topping: streusel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to bake half batches but people now look forward to getting samples and freebies of food I'd feel bad if I didn't give them the surplus. I really have become a mother hen. I love freezer diving and coming up with ideas for bananas too. I have some durian tucked away that is sure to freak people out. Hmm...durian and banana. If I don't end up making your combo first! But that's okay, bananas are always being added to the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are Sue. I have never tried durian. I know that it is the "stinky" fruit but I don't think I have ever seen it around this neck of the woods.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.