Last month we did a Fall Fruit and Wine pairing and I created a post using all local ingredients because buying and eating local is very important to me. But it is not a rule written in stone because I love Avocados, Bananas, Pineapple, Coffee...the list goes on an on....but I love some things that cannot be gotten locally.
The Pears are tossed in an emulsion of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and fresh Lemon Juice seasoned with salt and pepper. The Pears are then placed on a bed of Baby Arugula and further seasoned with freshly grated Parmesan Cheese.
For this month's challenge I decided to focus on a wonderful Fall salad that is a perfect start for your Thanksgiving dinner. It is easy to throw together. It is light and full of flavor. It combines the spiciness of baby arugula, the sweetness of fall pears and the saltiness of parmesan cheese. It is a big order to find a wine that will complement all of those flavors but think I found it in the 2011 Torrontes from Diseno Winery in Salta Argentina.
The crispness and lightness of this wine perfectly complemented the salad.
Salad of Arugula and Pears
1 oz Baby Arugula per person
1 pear per every 2 persons, cored and thinly sliced
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
2 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil per pear
Juice of 1/4 lemon per pear
salt and pepper to taste
In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper until emulsified. Place Pear slices in the bowl and toss to coat. Place a handful of Baby Arugula on each salad plate. Place dressed pairs on top of the Arugula. Top with Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese. Print Recipe
More Creative Thanksgiving-Inspired Dishes and Wine PairingsMains
- Turkey, Tempranillo and Sweet Potatoes by Cooking Chat
- Thanksgiving from the Veneto: Turkey, Pomegranate Sauce & Valpolicella by foodwineclick
- Norwegian Meatballs by Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Shepherds Pie Casserole with Barnard Griffin Syrah Port by Wild 4 Washington Wine
- Butternut Squash and Cheddar Bread Pudding and Donkey & Goat Stone Crusher by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
- Purple Sweet Potato Soup with Roasted Lobster + Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Layered Sweet Potato and Apple Bake with Cranberry Blush by Curious Cuisiniere
- Walnut Tart with Sparkling Brachetto d'Acqui by Vino Travels -- An Italian Wine Blog
- Can we skip to dessert? by Pull That Cork
- Day After Turkey and Seafood Gumbo by It's Ok To Eat The Cupcake
- Turkey Pot Pie and Boedecker Cellars Chardonnay by Tasting Pour
One year ago--Misty Water Colored Memories and Scrapbooking