Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Try it Tuesday is canceled this week....

I was going to make a new Osso Bucco recipe today but then I discovered that I was going to be at my daughter's taking care of the baby this afternoon when it would need to be prepared and put into the oven for a slow braise so that meal will be tried next Tuesday.  Please join me then.

Tonight we will be having Swedish Meatballs over Egg Noodles and buttered corn because I think that is the only vegetable my son in law likes.  I am going to make the Meatballs before I go over there so that I only need to reheat them, boil the noodles and heat the corn so we can have dinner when they get home.

It is a freezing cold, blustery day here in Michigan today so a comfort meal is going to be a very welcome addition to the day.  I know it is freezing cold because we spent all morning catching chickens to take to the processor.  65 of them!!!  Then we came home and our pigs watering system was frozen so we had to hand carry water out to them and bring the chicken's watering bucket inside to fill because the hose is frozen as well.  That's how it goes in A Day in the Life on the Farm.  Now we are inside where it is warm and Frank is making me breakfast, Scrambled Eggs with Cheese, yum.

We enjoyed our breakfast and then we got our most gargantuan turkey (27 #) and cut it in half before putting it in the freezer.  We had another 27# turkey that the processor had removed a wing from because he didn't like the way it looked.  When we got home last night I cut that one up and ground all the meat.  We ended up getting 15 # of ground turkey but I have to admit that I got tired and did not clean the carcass as well as I could have.  I probably could have gotten another 3# .  Oh well, the pigs were very happy with their meaty turkey carcass this morning.


He was a huge Tom but not as large as some years.



Frank makes quick work of sawing him in half.
Each half will provide turkey dinner for 6-8 with leftovers for additional meals.



Give each half a good bath, dry it off and into the freezer it goes.

For Thanksgiving we will be roasting a 19# bird for our feast.  We still have a 26# bird that has not been taken.  We will give it a day or two and if it doesn't sell we will divide him up and he will provide us with 1 turkey breast that we will smoke, 1 turkey breast that we will save for roasting, turkey tenderloins to use for stir fries and legs, wings and thighs for the stock pot.

Life is very good here on the farm...thanks for sharing our morning with us.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to hear how you use ground turkey! I haven't decided if I am going to cook a turkey yet. I hope I can find a really small one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe just a turkey breast Paula? I use ground turkey in place of ground beef in many recipes. I will be featuring a meat loaf recipe soon.

      Delete
  2. Swedish Meatballs sounds like a perfect warm, cozy meal for a cold day! My hubby was in the mood for tacos, so we're doing Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken for taco meat tonight. :) I always love walking in the door to the smell of dinner cooking! :D Those turkeys are impressive looking!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.