Monday, November 17, 2014

The Simple Woman's Day Book, November 17th Edition


I am once again joining Peggy, The Simple Woman, in today's Day Book Entries.  Please join us.

Outside my window is the remnants of the first snowfall for us this year.

I am thinking that I need to get down to the basement and clean up from yesterday's Christening party.

I am Thankful for all the family and friends that joined in our celebration.

I am wearing jeans and a long sleeved t shirt.

I am creating my Thanksgiving Menu.

I am going to the store to return my fitbit that quit working for some reason.

I am wondering if it is appropriate to attend the funeral of a niece by marriage, when she and my nephew have been divorced for several years.

I am reading Apologize, Apologize....it is making me laugh out loud.



I am hoping that we can figure out a way to go see our daughter, Nicole, in January.

I arm learning that the best things in life are not things.

Around the house farm, the turkeys went to be processed yesterday.  Tomorrow we will pick them up and drop off the chickens to be processed.  Then we will deliver all of our turkeys to their new homes for the Holidays.

In the Kitchen I am going to share my 13 Bean Soup with Ham recipe that we had for dinner on Soup Saturday.  I hope you enjoy it.  I enjoy making soup, especially hearty soups on a cold winter's day.  I also love making soups from ingredients that I have left over from other meals, such as this one.  I had a package of 13 Bean Soup Mix left from my 13 Bean Chili I made for 10 Days of Tailgate in the cupboard and I had a partial package of diced ham in the fridge left from my Three Cheese Pizza that needed to be used.  I also love soups that are made in the slow cooker because easy makes me smile.


13 Bean Soup with Ham
adapted from Marie Morucci as submitted to Fix it and Forget it Cookbook.

3 c. dried beans ( I used Bob's Red Mill, 13 bean mix)
6 c. water
2 c. boiling water
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 ribs celery, sliced
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 bay leaf
1/2 t, dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1 envelope dried onion soup mix
1 c. diced ham

Rinse beans, place in a large saucepan and cover with 6 c. of water.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes.  Remove from heat and let stand overnight.

In the morning, place beans and soaking water into the crock of a slow cooker.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Cook on low for 8-10 hrs. Print Recipe

I am also going to share this recipe at Simple Supper Tuesday and Thrifty Thursday.  Check them out.

I am pondering if I will make my Try it Tuesday recipe tomorrow.  I have to go down and take care of the baby while Ting and Tony go to visit Tony's mom who had hip replacement surgery today.

A Favorite Quote for Today is, once again, the same as what I am learning.....



One of my favorite things is raising healthy, sustainable, humanely grown food.

A Few Plans for this Week are taking the chickens in tomorrow, delivering turkeys, watching the baby, working the food pantry and, of course, visiting Mom.  I am also going to make up my flyers for the Lunch with Santa we host each year and get them ready to be mailed.

A Peek into one of my Days from Last Week...take a look at this great video of our granddaughter's baptismal ceremony.







4 comments:

  1. I love your quote. It is so true. And that bean soup sounds very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was delicious Paula and so easy. I have that quote hanging on my picture wall.

      Delete
  2. That soup sounds de-lish.

    And the first snow of winter-- winter's really here-- with Thanksgiving around the corner.

    I wish we had seasons, here in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the seasons Damyanti, but not so much today......it is 12* F with strong winds and I spent all morning out gathering chickens to go in for processing. It was freeeeeeeeezing!!!

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.