Thursday, November 20, 2014

Hot Tamale....on a cold winter's night

Choir was canceled tonight so we are home in our nice cozy house, sipping on Frank's Fantastic Margaritas and eating our Tamales and Refried Beans doctored up with my homemade salsa.

These tamales are probably not traditional.  I used chicken thighs instead of pork and I didn't really have a recipe, or rather I had about 5 recipes that I read over and then I did what I wanted LOL.  Here is what I ended up with when all was said and done.  I have amended my recipe to lower the amount of sugar you should add because while ours were very tasty they were a little on the sweet side for me. Frank, however, thought they were perfect so adjust yours to your taste.


Once you make the filling and soak the corn husks, place a dollop in the middle and fold it into a neat little package.


Place a couple of open corn husks on the bottom of the steamer.
Then add a single layer of your packages, seam side down.
You will add another layer of corn husks and top with a second layer of packages. 
Cover and Steam for an hour.


Remove to a platter and serve.


Open the packages and remove the tamale to your plate, discarding the husk.

Chicken Tamales

2 c shredded cooked chicken ( I boiled up 4 thighs until tender and shredded them)
1/2 c. diced onions
1 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. fresh Oregano or 1 t. dried
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
juice from 1/2 small lime
Salt and pepper to taste
20 Dried corn husks, soaked in warm water for half an hour
3/4 c. butter at room temperature
1/4 c. sugar
1 egg
large pinch of salt
1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 c. Masa Harina (Corn Flour)

In a large saute pan, cook onions in oil until tender.  Add garlic, oregano and jalapeno.  Cook over med heat for 2-3 minutes.  Add tomatoes, stir an bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice.  Place into a food processor and puree until smooth.  Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale yellow.  Add egg, salt and baking powder and mix to incorporate.  Add the Masa Harina and the tomato puree and mix until well blended and smooth.  Stir in chicken.

Place a dollop of filling inside each corn husk and fold over each side lengthwise and then each side width wise making a little package. Place the packages in a steamer lined with corn husks in a single layer.  Once the steamer is filled, place additional corn husks on top of the packages and layer the remaining packages.  You can repeat this as many times as necessary depending on the size of your steamer.

Place steamer over 2" of boiling water, cover and steam for 1 hour, adding water as needed.  Print Recipe






1 comment:

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.