Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Glerk's Bog (Pisatachio Pudding) #Let'sGoNuts #LitHappens

Homemade pistachio pudding.  Creamy with toothsome bits of pistachio spread throughout.


The Festive Foodies are Going Nuts today.  Won't you join us?.............


The Festive Foodies are a fun bunch of folks that get together to celebrate Food Holidays.  This group is led by Ellen of Family Around the Table.  Members take turns choosing ingredients or themes and inviting others in the group to join them in sharing recipes.  

Today is National Nut Day so I invited them to "Let's Go Nuts".  I'm sure that, like me, some of them are halfway there already anyway so they jumped into the party with both feet.  This is what they are sharing today...........

When I chose to host this month, I wasn't sure what I was going to make.  Then I was reading The Girl Who Drank The Moon for our Lit Happens Book Club ran by Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  

Image result for the girl who swallowed the moon

This fun story was chosen by my friend Amy of Amy's Cooking Adventures.  It is a fun, fantastical story of good vs evil, with witches, dragons, fairies and monsters.  A perfect, easy, Halloween read aimed at elementary and middle school children but it will be enjoyed by any age group, much like Harry Potter.

You will fall in love with Luna, the young girl who became magical because as an infant, she drank the moon.  She lives in an enchanted forest with her caretakers Xan, a kind and loving witch, and Glerk, a very wise and gentle monster who lives in the bog.  Her daily adventures are shared by a tiny little dragon who believes he is huge.

I also want to mention that you need not be a blogger to join Lit Happens.  There is no requirement to cook or blog about what we read.  I just happen to find food inspiration in everything I do and am constantly looking at life through a "foodie" lens.


So when I was going through my ever-growing, never-ending, pile of to make recipes and spotted one from Real Simple for Pistachio Pudding, I thought that the color and texture was a perfect representation of the bog in which Glerk resides.

My choice was made and while the pudding might look like a bog, it tastes like a bite of paradise.  Which, I guess, Glerk's bog was to him.  It is all in your perspective.  



So enjoy your day today, relax and Go a Little Nuts.  Make one of the special nutty recipes for your family today and then curl up with a good book and get ready for Halloween.

I'm also linking up today with Foodie's Read, a linkup sharing what other Foodies are reading each month.  Check it out.



Pistachio Pudding

Pistachio Pudding

Yield: 4 servings
Author:
prep time: 10 Mcook time: 20 Mtotal time: 30 M
Homemade pistachio pudding. Creamy with toothsome bits of pistachio spread throughout.

ingredients:

  • 1 c. shelled pistachios + more for garnish
  • 1/2 c. sugar, divided
  • 2 c. + 2 T. light cream
  • 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
  • 2 T. cornstarch
  • pinch of salt
  • 2 T. butter
  • 1/4 t. vanilla
  • Heavy cream, whipped

instructions:

How to cook Pistachio Pudding

  1. Place the 1 cup of pistachios into the bowl of a food processor.  Process until finely ground and just beginning to thicken.  Add 1/4 cup of the sugar and 2 Tablespoons of the cream.  Pulse until a thick paste forms.
  2. Transfer the paste to a large saucepan along with the remaining 2 cups of cream.  Cook over medium high heat, whisking to break up any clumps, until the mixture is steaming.  
  3. While the cream is heating, place the remaining sugar, egg,  egg yolks, cornstarch and salt, into the bowl of the food processor.  No need to clean it first, the remnants from the pistachio mixture are fine to be included.
  4. Turn on the food processor to combine the ingredients and then, with the processor still running, slowly add 1/2 cup of the hot cream mixture into the feeding tube of the processor until incorporated.
  5. Add the contents of the food processor to the cream mixture in the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.  
  6. Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and butter, until the butter is melted.  
  7. Divide between 4 pudding cups.  Lay plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the puddings and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 4 hrs.
  8. Garnish with whipped cream and additional pistachios.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found in Real Simple Magazine
Calories
249.94
Fat (grams)
13.41
Sat. Fat (grams)
7.34
Carbs (grams)
29.64
Fiber (grams)
0.05
Net carbs
29.59
Sugar (grams)
25.69
Protein (grams)
3.46
Sodium (milligrams)
109.32
Cholesterol (grams)
166.83
#desserts, #nuts, #pudding, #pistachio,
Desserts
American
Created using The Recipes Generator





10 comments:

  1. Oh, my. That pudding looks delicious. We love pistachios. I do need to whip up some desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one of those never ending pile of recipes too! This pudding sounds delicious! I wish I was familiar with the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very easy read Karen. I got mine from the library. You should look it up.

      Delete
    2. I picked it up from the library and started it last night. I'm about halfway done. Super quick read, but beautifully written.

      Delete
  3. I've only had the packaged fake pistachio pudding but oh my goodness does this sound so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious Erin but just be aware that it is creamy but it is not smooth. There are bits of pistachio throughout.

      Delete
  4. Your pudding is gorgeous with the whipped cream and nuts on top! And I just bought pistachios for a recipe. Kismet or what?

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.