Now, I'm still detoxing from all the junk food I ate starting at Halloween and going right through the 12 days of Christmas. I hate missing a party though so I found a great solution. An individual little cake mixed and baked right in a mug.
This easy peasy recipe comes from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman. It gets mixed up and cooked up in the microwave in the same mug. The entire process from start to finish takes about 15 minutes.
It's so easy that a toddler can pretty much do it themselves. They may need some help with the microwave though. I love that my toddler can now identify my utensils by size. I can ask for a Tablespoon and she knows exactly which to grab.
But the toddlers favorite part of the job was scooping some out and holding it so Grammy could take a photo.
Well, not really, her very favorite part was tasting the cake. She pronounced it "very delicious" and offered me a bite. I declared it very delicious as well. I was kind of surprised. I have never made a cake in the microwave before and wasn't sure it would turn out as wonderfully moist and tasty as it did.
One more bite and then she took the mug, asked for help off the counter and went to find Grampy so he could taste it. The next time I saw the mug was when it was ready to be washed....such is the life of a Grammy.
Chocolate Mug Cake
slightly adapted from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman
3 T. flour
3 T. sugar
2 T. cocoa powder
1/4 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
3 T. milk
3 T. olive oil
1/4 t. vanilla
3 T. mini chocolate chips
Place the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a 12 oz. mug. Stir with a fork to blend. Add the milk, oil and vanilla. Stir until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Let cool for about 5 minutes before eating. Print Recipe
More Chocolate Cakes
- Jolene's Recipe Journal: Best Chocolate Cake Ever!
- A Day in the Life on the Farm: Chocolate Mug Cake
- Amy's Cooking Adventures: Small Batch Chocolate Cupcakes
- The Redhead Baker: Fudgy Chocolate Bundt Cake
- Cindy's Recipes and Writings: Chocolate Mocha Cream Cake
- Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks: Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
- Culinary Adventures with Camilla: Double Chocolate Cake with Whiskey Ganache
- Palatable Pastime: Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Cooking With Carlee: Chocolate Banana Cupcakes
- Soulfully Made: Chocolate Cake with Whipped Oreo Icing