Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Whole Wheat Grissini #BreadBakers

This month's Bread Bakers is hosted by Kalyani of Sizzling Tastebuds.  Kalyani asked us to share a bread from around the world made with whole grains.


I decided to make the thin Italian bread sticks known as Grissini using white whole wheat flour. I served them as part of the soup course at our first Christmas gathering with friends.


This was my first attempt at Grissini.  I did my best to roll them as thinly as I could but they were still a little thicker than would have been ideal.  I also think that the next time I make them I will add a sprinkle of sea salt or kosher salt over them.

They were still crisp and delicious.  Make sure you make these a day before you want to serve them so that they have a chance to cool completely and develop that snap and crunch you are seeking.

I don't know if they would have been easier to roll out had I used all purpose or whole wheat pastry flour instead of the white whole wheat flour.  I will have to experiment and let you know.  The nice thing is that this is a relatively simple and quick recipe, requiring only one rise, so it is easily replicated using different types of flours.

Whole Wheat Grissini

1 packet active dry yeast
2/3 c. warm water (105-110*)
1/2 t. sugar
2 c. white whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
8 or 9 turns of fresh ground pepper
1 T. finely chopped rosemary
3 T. olive oil

Place water, yeast and sugar into bowl of stand mixer, fitted with the dough hook,  and let set for about 5 minutes until foamy.

Add 1 cup of the flour, salt, pepper, and rosemary and mix until combined.  Stir in the olive oil and remaining cup of flour.  Knead at med speed for 8-10 minutes.  Cover the bowl with a towel that has been dampened with hot water and let dough rest and rise for an hour.

Roll small amounts of the dough into thin sticks (about 1/4" in diameter) and place onto baking sheets lined with parchment or silicone mats.  

Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned.  Cool completely before serving.  Print Recipe



More Whole Grain Breads



BreadBakers#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.

If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

12 comments:

  1. I bet these would be fabulous with soup!
    I have actually made grissini by rolling it out like pie dough and then cutting it with a pizza wheel and a ruler. I've even used a pasta maker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those grissini look perfectly crispy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely pick, Wendy ! and thanks for the help on the code too. Would love to munch on these crispy breadsticks with some hot steaming soup !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the sort of bread I need to have with soup... I always get the feeling that I may not have the patience to roll out the thin grissini. I like Karen's tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Favorite Grissini with whole wheat flour and herbs, wonderful........

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.