Sunday, September 13, 2020

Julia Child's Eggplant Pizzas #OurFamilyTable

Slices of fresh eggplant, roasted until tender, topped with a sauce of fresh vegetables and two different cheeses.  Julia Child was way ahead of her time.

Eggplant Pizzas

The From Our Dinner Table Group are sharing recipes inspired by Julia Child today............


From our Dinner Table logo

Julia Child Inspired Recipes


We share Recipes From Our Dinner Table! Join our group and share your recipes, too! While you're at it, join our Pinterest board, too!


Eggplant

Our friends, Kim and Kurt, shared these gorgeous eggplants that they had grown this year with us.   I love eggplant.  My favorite way to enjoy it is roasted or grilled.  I love making this Eggplant Caprese SaladEggplant Rollatini is always delicious.  This Lamb Stuffed Eggplant was amazing.

I looked in my volume of Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.  This cookbook offered 2 recipes for eggplant.  One was for Ratatouille which I love but had already shared my recipe for it.  The second is for a Mushroom Stuffed Eggplant that sounds wonderful.  That is going to be served up here for a Meatless Monday as soon as I get some mushrooms.

Grilled Vegetable Sauce

I had used some of those eggplants to make this delectable Grilled Vegetable Sauce.  When I did a google search for more Julia Child eggplant recipes, I found one for Eggplant Pizzas that was published in her cookbook titled Julia Child's Kitchen.

Eggplant Pizzas

Inspired by this recipe, I decided to make my own version using the fresh sauce I had just made.  You can use your favorite Marinara Sauce  or use the one provided by Julia in her recipe that she has you cook up while your eggplant is roasting.

Eggplant Pizzas

I served these up as our meal one night paired with a lovely Malbec from New Zealand.  They were a big hit with the Teen.  These would also make a lovely appetizer, vegetable side or first course at a dinner party.  Or just a healthy snack when the late night munchies hit.





Vegetarian, eggplant, Appetizer, Vegetable Side, Entree, Snack, Pizza
Entree, Snack, Appetizer, Vegetables
Italian
Yield: 4 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Print
Eggplant Pizza

Eggplant Pizza

Slices of fresh eggplant, roasted until tender, topped with a sauce of fresh vegetables and two different cheeses.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 35 Mininactive time: 30 MinTotal time: 1 H & 15 M

Ingredients:

  • 1 lg. Globe Eggplant, cut into 1/2" Rounds
  • Kosher salt
  • Olive oil
  • Dried Italian Herb Seasoning
  • 2 c. of your favorite pasta sauce
  • 1 c. shredded Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1/2 c. shredded Parmesan Cheese

Instructions:

  1. Lay the eggplant slices on double thickness of paper towel and sprinkle generously with the kosher salt.  Let set for half an hour  or so until you see liquid being pulled to the top of the eggplant.
  2. Wipe off the liquid and salt.  Place eggplant onto a baking sheet.  Brush with olive oil and season with the Italian Herbs.  Roast in a preheated 400* oven for 20-30 minutes, until tender but still retaining their shape.
  3. Heat the sauce in a saucepan over med heat.  Top each roasted eggplant round with the sauce and then sprinkle with both cheeses. Place the pizzas under the broiler just until the cheese is melted and browned.

Notes:

Inspired by a recipe found in Julia Child's Kitchen Cookbook.
Created using The Recipes Generator

9 comments:

  1. What a great way to dress up eggplant! I'm always turning anything into a pizza, but I hadn't thought of eggplant. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so good! I don't cook with eggplant nearly enough - but happen to have a couple in the house right now; I will have to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant way to use eggplant and so healthy. Way to do Julia Child healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a perfect appetizer or light dinner.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.