Saturday, May 12, 2018

In the Merry Merry Month of May I Met Magistrate Merlot #WinePW

We are celebrating the letter "M" this month in our Wine Pairing Weekend Group.  Isn't this a fun theme?  It made me start singing about the Merry Merry Month of May and well......the rest is the title of today's post LOL.


So I was at the grocers and they were featuring a California wine from Magistrate.  I read the label which proclaims this wine to be a very limited bottling and warning that once it was gone you wouldn't be able to get anymore.  They recommended that you try it and then come back and stock your cellar.


I was pretty confident that this would be a good bottle for the price.  It was on sale for about $10 which makes it very affordable for an every day, casual sip. 


It was a beautiful deep color and contained a lot of spice on the nose.  It was smooth and we enjoyed it enough that we will buy it again for as long as the production lasts.


We normally drink wine with every dinner. Even when it is just hotdogs which is what we had the evening I opened this wine.   Amy and Chuck's father used to call hotdogs "tube steaks" when they would ask what we were having for dinner.  I think of that every time I make hotdogs.  LOL


The next time I was at the grocers I picked up a bottle of the Cabernet from Magistrate.  That evening we grilled steaks.  It was a wonderful pairing as well.  But then Cab and Steak are one of my favorite flavor profiles.

Last time I was at the grocers I picked up a bottle of the Magistrate Chardonnay.  We haven't paired that yet but I will let you know.  

I want to thank Lori of Dracaena for choosing such a great theme.  Stop by and take a look at her Preview Post.  Lori's winery is also located in Paso Robles where the Magistrate is produced.  I'm hoping that she can shed some more light on this winery during our twitter chat today at 11 AM ET.  Please join us by following #winePW.

Now let's go see what the others found to share with this "M" theme......







12 comments:

  1. $10 is quite the bargain! I am really not familiar with Magistrate. I am not sure they are actually located in Paso, versus sourcing their red fruit from the area. I will look in to them more though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't know where they actually make the wine. The merlot and cab were sourced from Paso but other grapes were sourced elsewhere.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Magistrate either. I agree: wine goes with every meal...even 'tube steaks.' LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to laugh while scheduling chat today...of course there were all kinds of questions regarding the meal served LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm in total agreement-- even a hot dog dinner deserves some vino!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all eat hot dogs in real life! Thanks for posting your pairing and livening up the discussion this month. Your wine sounds like it offers great QPR - hope you stocked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lauren....it was fun. And the wine is good enough to warrant stocking.

      Delete
  5. You have so many yummy things on the blog right now -- I want to try it all (even the hot dog, but for real, I love baked beans). Paso Robles fruit is so yummy -- always eager to try a new bottle. Thanks for sharing Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to keep my eyes out for this Merlot, a good wine at that price is worth buying for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.