Friday, May 18, 2018

Crab Cake Po' Boys #FishFridayFoodies

Our theme this month for Fish Friday Foodies was chosen by Sue of Palatable Pastime.  Sue asked us to share a sandwich with any kind of fish or seafood.

I started Fish Friday Foodies as a way to get ideas to add more fish and seafood into our diets.  I never expected it to turn into such an amazing group of talented cooks who show up each and every month to share a recipe based on a theme chosen by whomever is hosting that month.

It is such great fun and has added tons of variety to our menus.  We love having new bloggers join us.  Should you be interested, please leave a comment on this post with your blog url so that I can send you an invitation.


I did a quick check of my recipe files to see what other fish sandwiches I have shared with you in the past.  I was surprised that I really haven't shared that many and those that I have are in the form of tacos.  

In fact, just last month I shared these Chimichurri Fish Tacos.  I have also shared Fish Tacos with a Mango Salsa and these Shrimp Tacos are from my very first Fish Fridays post when we first started in January of 2016.

I have also shared a Lobster Roll, Salmon Burgers and a Shrimp Louis Croissant.  I was surprised that I haven't shared a Tuna Melt yet.  I love Tuna Melts and I will be sharing one soon, I promise.  But not this month.  This month I am sharing this Crab Cake Po' Boy and Oh' Boy is it SCRUMPTIOUS!!


Tender, sweet crab claw meat is tossed with seasonings, veggies, and cheese, then fried to a crispy golden brown.

Hoagie Rolls are placed under the broiler to toast and then slathered with a homemade tarter sauce that has just a hint of horseradish.


A layer of shredded lettuce, a generous serving of the crab cakes and another helping of the tarter sauce makes for one delectable sandwich.


I can't wait to see what the others are sharing today.  You will find links to all of the great fish and seafood sandwiches at the bottom of this post.



#fishfridayfoodies, #crab, #crabcakes, #sandwiches, #tartarsauce,
seafood, sandwiches
Seafood
Yield: 2 sandwiches

Pin it

Crab Cake Po' Boy

prep time: 40 MINScook time: 10 MINStotal time: 50 mins
Tender delicious crab claw meat, tossed with seasonings and veggies before being lightly breaded and fried golden brown, are served up on toasted buns with a homemade tarter sauce that contains just a hint of horseradish.

ingredients:

1/4 c. Miracle Whip
1/2 t. Old Bay seasoning 
1 egg
small pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
1 t. lemon juice
4 oz. crab claw meat, shelled and picked through
1/4 c. mozzarella cheese, grated
1/3 c. red pepper,  diced small
1 scallion, minced
1 slice whole wheat bread, pulsed to crumbs in a food processor
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
2 Hoagie Buns
Shredded Romaine Lettuce
1/2 c. Miracle Whip
2 T. sweet relish
Juice of 1/4 lemon
1 t. prepared horseradish

instructions:

Whisk together the 1/4 cup Miracle Whip with the Old Bay seasoning, egg, crushed red pepper and lemon juice.  Gently stir in the crab meat, mozzarella cheese, red pepper and scallion.

Place half of the bread crumbs onto a baking sheet.  Form the crab mixture into balls of  6 equal portions.  Place the balls on top of the bread crumbs and cover with the remaining bread crumbs.  Press down to flatten into cakes.  Place in the refrigerator for at least a half an hour and up to 8 hrs.

Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Cook the patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.  Remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.

Place the Hoagie buns under a broiler for a minute or two to toast.  

Combine the 1/2 c. Miracle Whip, relish, lemon and horseradish.  Taste and season with salt and pepper, if desired.

Spread some of the horseradish tarter sauce onto the bottom of the bun.  Cover with shredded lettuce.  Top with 3 of the crab cakes and more of the tarter sauce, to taste.

notes

This recipe adapted from one found in Cuisine at Home.
Created using The Recipes Generator





14 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this, Wendy! We love crab cakes. I'm so glad you started this group. It's one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sign me up! We eat a LOT of crab cakes! Sounds wonderful! P~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a Po Boy and while I have two on the blog (both with Oysters) realize to my dismay that I have not put one on with crab! You've set the bar high, Wendy. Yours look mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks Sue but I'm sure that any bar set would not be hard for you to top.

      Delete
  4. I could eat that whole sandwich! It sounds sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did eat that whole sandwich and could have started on another Karen.

      Delete
  5. What a great idea, I'd love to try one of those, I've become rather fond of crab cakes, especially since I won the crab cake cookoff two years in a row here. Thanks for starting this great group, I've gotten so many new recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious, always a fan of crab cakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Caroline and would you believe this is the first time I've made them?

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.