Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Spring Pea Pasta #KitchenMatrixCookingProject

A few of us are working our way through the Kitchen Matrix Cookbook by Mark Bittman.  We post a recipe each Tuesday based on a section of the book chosen by one of the bloggers.  This month I am choosing the themes.


This week I asked the others to join me in preparing Pasta Primavera in honor of Spring.  Of course, Spring has not sprung here in Michigan yet.



I did not let that deter me though.  I had no fresh Spring peas so I used frozen baby peas.  That just served to make my life easier because there was no shelling involved.

Here is Bittman's Universal Instructions for making Pasta Primavera:
"Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, then add 1/2 to 1 pound of pasta.  (Vary the amount depending on your preferred pasta-to-sauce ratio; the quantity of sauce in the recipes that follow will sauce up to one pound of pasta, or enough to serve four at minimum).  When the pasta is tender but not mushy, drain it, reserving 1 cup of cooking water".
There you go.  I boiled my pasta to al dente and drained it.  I had placed the peas in the colander so that when I drained the pasta, it would warm the peas.  I  then added a glug of olive oil and a pat of butter to the pan I had boiled the pasta in and placed it over med high heat.  I added minced garlic and crushed red pepper to the oil/butter mixture and then stirred in the peas and pasta.   Seasoned with salt and pepper and it was ready to serve.


This would make a perfect Meatless Monday meal.  I served it on a Saturday so I plated it as a side dish with lemon chicken and paired it with a bottle of wine from Navarra, Spain.  I will be sharing more about this pairing on Saturday when I get together with my friends for Wine Pairing Weekend.  

That event is being hosted by my friend Cam of Culinary Adventures with Camilla.  Why is this significant?  Well, this Kitchen Matrix Cooking Project was Cam's brainchild.  You are welcome to join us and can find out all you need to know in this post of Cam's.

Here's the other Pasta Primavera being shared today






Spring Pea Pasta
inspired by The Kitchen Matrix Cookbook

1/2 lb pasta
1 c. frozen baby peas, defrosted
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
salt and pepper to taste

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.  Add your pasta and cook according to package direction.  Place your peas in a colander. When the pasta is cooked pour over the peas in the colander to drain.

Return the pot to the stovetop and turn the heat to med high.  Add the olive oil and butter.  When melted and sizzling, add the garlic and crushed red pepper, stirring to prevent over browning.  Return the pasta and peas to the pot, tossing to combine with the sauce.  Season with salt and pepper.  Serve with grated parmesan cheese.  Print Recipe

3 comments:

  1. I love easy-to-make pasta dishes on busy weeknights! I actually made the sausage and greens, too, and will be sharing that recipe soon. But I can't wait to try this one also. Thanks for hanging in there with me.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.