Monday, April 16, 2018

Mississippi Roast #SRCReunion

We are having a Secret Recipe Club Reunion!!!   I am so excited.  This group, led by Sarah of Fantastical Sharing of Recipes, was the first cooking group I joined as a blogger.

My regular readers know that I now belong to a plethora of groups and even administer Fish Friday Foodies and Soup Saturday Swappers.

I join groups not only for cooking inspiration but for the camaraderie and support offered by the members.  I have so many people that I consider friends now even though we haven't yet met face to face.

I also have several that I have had the pleasure of meeting in person and they are as wonderful in real life as they are in virtual reality.

One of the most fun members of this group, Sally of Bewitching Kitchen, is my secret assignment this month.  Sally belongs to several of the same cooking groups and always adds fun to the events.  She is witty, clever, smart and amazingly creative.   All of these attributes are evident each day in her blogposts.

The only problem with being assigned Sally's blog was trying to choose a recipe.  Her recipe index has over 40 categories from which to choose.

This Roasted Beet Hummus caught my eye right away.  I love beets.  What a great idea to use them as the main ingredient in hummus.

These Mini Frittatas would be perfect to serve up for a Mother's Day Brunch, as would this Greens, Grapefruit and Shrimp Salad.  And for dessert?  How about this drool worthy Opera Cake.

I spent a lot of time perusing recipes.  I finally decided that I needed to concentrate on a main course meal that I could add to my Weekly Menu.  I went to the Beef section and found this interesting recipe for Mississippi Roast.  Sally told of how she first saw this recipe on The Chew and disregarded it because it did not sound appealing to her.  Then, one of her blogging friends made the recipe and loved it.  This convinced Sally to make her version and she, too, loved it.  That, along with the fact that this was an easy peasy slow cooker recipe that I knew could be turned into at least two meals for the week, convinced me.


I, of course, made my own adaptations.   I started with a bone in roast because that was what I had in the freezer.  


Other than searing the meat, this is as easy as it gets.  Dump everything into the slow cooker and walk away.  The other adaptations are, again, based on what I had in my cupboards and refrigerator. Olive oil for the grapeseed oil, Miracle whip instead of Mayo. Oh yeah, and I added garlic because, I always add garlic.


I went out and spent the day running errands. When I came home, the house smelled amazing.  I put some potatoes on to boil while I shredded the roast, removing all the bones, fat and gristle.  Returned the meat to the juice in the slow cooker to stay warm while I mashed the potatoes and heated some peas and dinner was served.

It was tender, juicy and delicious.  If you use a boneless roast you could shred it right in the slow cooker.  You would still have to remove any large pieces of fat or gristle.  That is just the nature of pot roasts and why, after being braised, they are so amazingly delicious.


The leftovers were served a couple of nights later in these scrumptious Ranch BBQ Beef Sandwiches.

Thanks Sarah for arranging this reunion.  I have missed everyone. Thanks to Sally for having such an awesome blog with hundreds of recipes from which I could choose.  Make sure you stop by and see what all the others found while sneaking around their assignment.  You will find links at the bottom of this post.


Mississippi Roast
slightly adapted from Bewitching Kitchen

1 chuck roast (3-4 lbs)
salt and pepper, to taste
2 T. olive oil
3 T. butter, divided into 3 pats
8 jarred pepperoncini peppers
2 T. Miracle Whip
2 t. apple cider vinegar
1 T. chopped fresh dill
1/4 t. sweet paprika
2 cloves garlic, minced

Make sure the roast is patted dry and then season with salt and pepper.  Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering.  Add the roast and sear until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes per side.  Remove from skillet and place into the crock of a slow cooker.

Combine the Miracle Whip, vinegar, dill, paprika and garlic.  Pour over the roast.  Add the peppers, and the pats of butter. Cook on low setting for 6-8 hrs.

Remove the roast to a cutting board.  It will be falling apart.  Using forks, remove and discard any bones, gristle and large chunks of fat.  Shred the meat and return to the crockpot to rewarm in the juices.  Print Recipe

Let's see what the others have made








22 comments:

  1. Wow this roast looks really good - it has such an interesting ingredient list and flavor combinations. I want to try it! Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, it was very good and will be on the remake list.

      Delete
  2. Mmm I love a good roast! Never had it seasoned like this before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a wonderful surprise to have YOU cooking from my blog! Awesome! Such a sweet write up, thank you so much!

    and yes, that roast was something, it became a regular rotation in our kitchen because we love it so much, and it's so "user-friendly"

    great Reveal Day!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! So many recipes I want to try out now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an interesting recipe! I'm always looking for new ways to prepare meats my family enjoy and I can't wait to try this Mississippi Roast! I love Miracle Whip too, so I was happy to see it on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh heavens that roast looks amazing! You mean you didn't make the opera cake? Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks like a great roast Wendy. You picked a winner for the reveal :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing Wendy! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun that you got assigned to Sally! This roast looks so tender!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The roast looks really well done... delicious recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes, Sally...my favorite sparring partner in SRC!
    I have seen many a Mississippi Roast, and not made it yet. That will change now that I see this recipe!
    So sorry it took me a week to get here...I really enjoyed the SRC reunion, and I miss everyone!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.