Wednesday, April 19, 2017

BLT Grilled Cheese with Avocado #FantasticalFoodFight

April is National BLT month.  It is also National Grilled Cheese month.  So when Sarah, the leader of our Fantastical Food Fight, chose the theme of BLT for this month, I decided to combine the two.


Sarah instructed that our entry must be a sandwich that contains bacon, tomato and a leafy green.  I decided to use baby spinach as my leafy green.  I also added some avocado slices for a little extra green.  You can learn all about Fantastical Food Fight and how to join by going to Sarah's introduction post.


Layer upon layer of goodness in this sandwich.  Start with a slice of cheese, add the bacon, layer on the spinach and then the tomatoes.  Top this with some avocado and then another slice of cheese. Generously butter the outside of the bread and grill it to a golden brown.


This would make a perfect breakfast, you could even add an egg if you so chose.  It would also be  a marvelous lunch paired with some chips or fries or you could do as I and serve it up with a hearty bowl of Bean Soup that you make from your Easter Leftovers and call it dinner.



BLT Grilled Cheese with Avocado

For each Sandwich:

2 slices whole wheat bread
butter, room temperature
2 slices colby jack cheese
4-5 slices bacon, cooked crisp
small handful of baby spinach leaves
2 tomato slices
3-4 slices avocado

Place one slice of bread on a board and cover with a slice of cheese, bacon, spinach, tomato and avocado.  Place the second slice of cheese on top.  Cover with a second slice of bread buttered on the side facing up.  Carefully, transfer the sandwich to a hot griddle, placing the buttered side of the sandwich down.  Butter the slice of bread now facing up.  Grill until bottom is golden brown.  Flip so that the top buttered side is on the griddle and grill until that side is golden brown and the cheese is melted.  Print Recipe

More Amazing BLT's



10 comments:

  1. Oh yes! When I was growing up, this was Friday night dinner, minus the avocado. And of course back then it was American cheese, lol! Love grilled BLTs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. We love avocado on our BLT's though I know growing up we did not have them on our sandwiches...it was strictly white bread, mayo, bacon, lettuce and tomato. Oh how I love all the new options out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Kirsten I think we were all raised on wonder bread or comparable.

      Delete
  3. Drooling! I had thought about putting cheese on my BLT this month, but I came to the conclusion that perhaps it was a little too much. After looking a this, I don't think it would have been. Next time, cheese, perhaps even double cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm yes, BLT in grilled cheese form. Simple yet genius.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.