Friday, January 6, 2017

No Soak Bean Soup in the Crockpot for the final day of #SoupWeek


Welcome to the last day of #SoupWeek, hosted by Sue, of A Palatable Pastime.  Today I am sharing a wonderful bowl of soup made from the ham bone left from Christmas Dinner.  I love when we have ham just so that I can enjoy ham sandwiches during the following week and use the bone to make soup.  

Split Pea, Ham Vegetable Barley, 13 Bean and, of course, Navy Bean  have all been made and posted on this blog.  When I went to make this soup, I had originally planned on using canned beans but I didn't put "canned" on my list for Frank so ended up with dried.  We were going to be gone all day and I had intended on throwing together a quick dinner when we got home using the canned bean. Of course, I forgot about the change in plans and didn't soak my beans the night before.  We were leaving and I didn't have time to precook the beans and use the "fast" soak method.  Instead of scrapping my plans completely, I threw everything in the crockpot and walked out the door. 


When we came back home, about 7 hrs. later, the house smelled wonderful.  I removed the ham bone, cut off and returned the meat and tried a bean.  It was still a little al dente so I left it to cook for another 2 hrs and we had dinner an hour later than planned.  It was worth the wait and my days of soaking beans overnight are over.

No Soak Bean Soup

1 meaty ham bone
2 lbs dried navy beans, picked over
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 strips celery, chopped
8 c. chicken stock
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low 8-10 hrs.  Remove bone, cut meat into bite size pieces and return to crock.  Cover and cook on low for another 2-4 hrs, until beans reach desired tenderness.  Taste, season with additional salt and pepper, if needed, remove bay leaf and thyme sprig before serving.  Print Recipe

Friday's Posts

6 comments:

  1. Yum, I love ham and beans but am terrible at remembering to soak them the night before. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm smiling about the grocery list Faux Pas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love ham and beans. I made ham and black eyed peas for New Years Day and ate the entire batch over a weeks time, all by myself. Harley hates beans!! She will eat them, but not if something else is available. I have never been big on soaking my beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know there was another way LOL. I have heard of the black eyed pea tradition but have never tried it. Hope 2017 is starting off peaceful for you Paula.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.