Saturday, February 11, 2017

Mushroom Stroganoff with Markham Sauvignon Blanc for #WinePW


Welcome back to Wine Pairing Weekend where we get together on the second Saturday of each month to share our wine pairings.  This group was started by David over at Cooking Chat Food and he tells you all about our group and the upcoming themes for 2017 in this post.

This month's theme is comfort food and it was chosen by Cindy of Grape Experiences.  I was excited about this theme.  I think that winter is all about comfort food and since we drink wine at nearly every meal this was a very easy assignment for me.


We normally practice Meatless Mondays around here.  A couple of weeks ago, I was flipping through an old issue of Cuisine at Home and found a recipe for Mushroom Stroganoff that sounded amazing. I decided it would make a perfect Meatless Monday meal and set about preparing it.  The recipe called for a dry white wine.  I went into the wine fridge and pulled out a bottle of Markham Sauvignon Blanc.  I'm not sure where I got this wine, perhaps it was a gift from over the holidays.  We are fortunate enough to receive numerous bottles as gifts throughout the year but especially over the holidays while we are entertaining.  Of course, we may have ordered it up at one of the wine tasting events that we attended.

I find that it is good practice to enjoy the same wine, or type of wine, with the meal that you put into the meal.  So I used what I needed for the recipe and then poured a glass to enjoy while I was cooking.  The wine was dry and fruity with a bit of a bite. It was almost effervescent, reminding me a bit of a sparkling wine.  This is the kind of wine I would normally enjoy on a hot summer day out on the deck by the pool.  I wasn't sure how this wine was going to pair with my dinner, now that I had tasted it, but having already opened it I decided to give it a shot.

  
Markham Vineyards is located in Napa Valley and was started by Bordeaux immigrant Jean Laurent in 1874 making it one of the oldest wineries in the Napa Valley.  You can read all about Markham Vineyards here.  This bottle of Sauvignon Blanc retails for $16 making it reasonable enough to enjoy during the week with dinner.


This Mushroom Stroganoff is also perfect for a weeknight meal.  Quick and easy to prepare, you can have a delicious, creamy, comforting meal on the table in a half hour's time.  This stroganoff is flavored with dill. giving it a bright flavor that you are not expecting from this dish.  


We sat down at the table, said grace and toasted as we do each evening.  Took a sip of the wine and remarked on how it was a bit more acerbic than we like.  Then we had a bite of the stroganoff and another sip of the wine.  OH MY GOODNESS....this is the perfect example of how a food and wine pairing should work.  The wine was suddenly smooth and felt lush and full bodied.  All the abrasiveness and acidity of this wine vanished, leaving nothing behind except silky finish that left you eager to take another bite and another sip.


This stroganoff is sure to become a regular offering on the menu in our household, both in the winter when we are seeking the warm comfort of gravy soaked noodles and in the summer when we are looking for a quick, easy meal to pair with this bottle of wine as we dine al fresco by the pool.

Please join us for our twitter chat this morning at 11 am EST.  You'll find us by following #winePW.

Mushroom Stroganoff
adapted from Cuisine at Home, Issue #43

1 lb mushrooms, halved
2 t. olive oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
1 sweet onion, diced
1 T. olive oil
1/2 t. paprika
dash of cayenne
1/4 c. dry white wine
2 T. flour
2 c. chicken broth
2 T. champagne honey mustard
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/4 c. sour cream
1-2  T. fresh dill
Buttered Egg Noodles

In a non-stick pan over med high heat, saute the mushrooms in two batches, using a teaspoon of oil for each batch and seasoning to taste with salt and pepper, until browned, about 5 minutes per batch, tossing occasionally and removing to a plate when cooked.  In the same pan heat the tablespoon of olive oil.  Add the onion, paprika and cayenne.  Cook until onion is soft, about another 5 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the wine, simmering until nearly evaporated.  Stir in the flour to coat the onions and then gradually whisk in the chicken broth.  Add mustard and lemon juice.  Continue to simmer until thickened, 5 minutes or so, and then reduce heat to low.  Stir in the mushrooms, sour cream and dill weed.  Serve over buttered egg noodles that have been prepared per package directions. Print Recipe

Here are the other's best-loved comfort food and wine pairings.

19 comments:

  1. Ooh! I love a good mushroom stroganoff! And believe it or not I've never tried Sauvignon Blanc of any kind, so now I'll have to add that to my to try list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pairing - sounds like the Sauvignon Blanc and the stroganoff balanced each other perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made all of this sound divine with your words. We love stroganoff but one with just mushrooms wouldn't get eaten by the girls. Has to have beef!! The wine sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might surprise you...Frank balked at first too but then ate 2 servings at dinner and the rest for lunch the next day.

      Delete
  4. I love it when you find a bottle of wine in your refrigerator but don't know where you got it from! Happy surprise! And Markham SB is a very nice bottle for the QPR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great recipe and wine pairing for every day...including the weekend with guests. Thank you!!! Yum:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious about Champagne Honey Mustard. Is this something you made?

    I'm always on the hunt for meatless meals, especially filling ones for my teenagers. Thanks for sharing this & for inviting us to your table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for joining us Jill. The recipe actually called for stone ground mustard. I didn't have any but I did have this champagne honey mustard that I picked up at my local grocers (Kroger) here in Michigan. It is the store's brand (Private Selections) and it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with your assessment about having the same wine with the meal as you put into the meal. This sounds like a great pairing and a perfect dish for Meatless Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you found a perfect pairing. Dish sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoy mushrooms and the mushroom stroganoff looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.