Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Oven Baked Tropical Pancakes for #BreadBakers

This month's Bread Bakers is brought to you by Mayuri of Mayuri's Jikoni.  Mayuri chose the theme of pancakes......YUM!!  Mayuri invited us to go sweet or savory, suggesting items like crepes, blinis and gozleme.  Yes, I had to look up gozleme too.  It is a traditional, savory Turkish flatbread.  Mayuri encouraged us to go global with our choices.


Since I have sunshine and blue skies dominating my mind this month as we get ready to head to Dominica for a dive vacation, I decided to go tropical with my pancake.  Since we are posting on Valentine's Day I made them into hearts and topped them with some red currant syrup.

A couple of years ago, Frank and I took a road trip through our home State, staying at different B&B's along the way.   Our last stop was in Pentwater, MI where we stayed at a lovely Bed and Breakfast called Pentwater Abbey.  The owner, Karen Way, served us a wonderful Baked Pancake and was gracious enough to share the recipe.  The recipe is a photocopy of a page from an undisclosed cookbook.  I wanted to give credit to the original source of this recipe for "Fruited Buttermilk Oven Pancakes", so I did a google search.  I found Karen's entry in the Michigan B&B association website where she gives credit to BHG.  No wonder it was so good. 


I decided to take this recipe and make it my own by adding the tropical flavors of Mango and Coconut.  How did it turn out?   I'll let my favorite, little Valentine show you.


These baked pancakes are perfect!  You can use any fruit you want.  Choose what is seasonal or what your family loves.  Choose for the holiday, strawberry and blueberry for 4th of July was my first thought.  Each pan makes 4-6 servings that are ready at one time so you don't have to worry about keeping the first batches warm while cooking up the rest.  


Tropical Baked Pancakes
adapted from Pentwater Abbey

1 1/2 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
3 T. cooking oil
1 (15 oz) can diced mango, drained
1/2 c. shredded, sweetened coconut
Cinnamon Sugar (2 T. sugar + 1/2 t. cinnamon)

Combine flour, sugar, soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  In a 2 c. measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, egg and cooking oil.  Pour into the dry ingredients all at once.  Stir until just mixed. Spread the batter in 15x10x1 jelly roll pan (cookie sheet) that has been treated with baking spray. Sprinkle the mango and coconut evenly over the batter and then sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar. Place into a preheated 350* oven for 12-15 minutes.  Pancake will spring back when touched and the edges will be lightly browned.  Cut into squares or desired shapes and serve. Print Recipe

Pancakes, Pancakes and More Pancakes

BreadBakers#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. You can see all our of lovely bread by following our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated after each event on the #BreadBakers home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com.

30 comments:

  1. I loved seeing your Little Miss enjoy that pancake. She is getting so big! Happy Valentine's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is Paula and so independent. Wants to do everything on her own.

      Delete
  2. Oh those little valentines are adorable!! Delicious flavors of pancakes and baking everything at one go ? Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great research on the origin! I love your additions.. sounds so delicious! I've never baked pancakes before! Must try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always up for new and exciting pancakes! So nice that these are baked in the oven too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm envious of your warm weather trip! It would be divine right now just like this beautiful pancake. The addition of coconut and mango sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG those pancakes look sooooo delicious and your little munchkin is just soooo adorable. Your pancakes sound so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww so cute your little Valentine is surely enjoying the pancakes. Now this is one recipe where I don't have to hunt for the ingredients...I live in the coconut and mango land. Great idea Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you Mayuri, how fun it would be to be able to use fresh ingredients.

      Delete
  8. Your tropical pancakes have me wishing for sunshine too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow the tropical pancakes have come out so well. Perfect recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could use a day in the tropics these pancakes will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy...baking a pancake is a great idea! And I LOVE your tropical flavors! Hope you have a great time on your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look so delicious, no wonder the little one is enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. pancakes with tropical toppings wonderful and your cute valentine is enjoying her treat.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melody loving it was what made it a perfect recipe Sharanya.

      Delete
  14. I have always made Pancake in a pan or deep fried it. Baking sounds like a much healthy and delicious option. Thnaks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.