Thursday, January 5, 2017

Kale and Squash Soup for Day 4 of #SoupWeek

I hope you have been enjoying all the wonderful soups we have been sharing all week.  If you haven't had a chance to see them yet you can follow along on FaceBook, Twitter, Google+ and Instagram using the hashtag #SoupWeek. We also have a #SoupWeek Pinterest Board where you can see all of the offerings in one easy to access spot! What a great way to stay warm in cold weather!


#SoupWeek

Welcome to the #SoupWeek, hosted by Palatable Pastime.

Today I am sharing a brothy Italian soup that I adapted from one found at Food & Wine.  It was a wonderful first course for an Italian dinner that we shared with friends.  I wanted a light soup because it was being followed with Chicken Marsala Lasagna Roll-ups which were very rich and decadent. This soup was perfect.  It is filled with healthy vegetables and takes only minutes to put together.  It can be made ahead of time and reheated right before serving.


I adapted this recipe in several ways, in the ingredients used and in the preparation.  I did stick to the spirit of the soup and was absolutely thrilled with the way it turned out.

Kale and Squash Soup
adapted from Food&Wine

2 T. good olive oil
1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2" cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. dried Italian herbs
1 bunch kale, stems removed, leaves coarsely chopped
8 c. chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. small pasta (I used stars)
1 (15 oz) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
Shaved Parmesan Cheese for garnish

Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot over med high heat.  Add the onion and squash.  Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent and the squash is browned in spots.  Stir in the garlic and Italian herbs.  Add the kale and cook, stirring until wilted, about 5 minutes.  Add the stock, navy beans and pasta, cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes until kale and squash are fork tender and pasta is cooked through.  Garnish with shaved parmesan cheese, if desired.  Print Recipe

Thursday's Soups

4 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of Kale. And Harley isn't a fan of soup. But I love the soup recipes you share!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this sounds delicious and now I need to check out those lasagna roll ups too!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.