Thursday, December 15, 2016

Christmas Wreath Cake #BundtBakers

This month's Bundt theme is Winter Wonderland, hosted by Laura of Baking in Pyjamas.  I was very excited about this perfect choice for a theme.  When Laura announced it my mind immediately went to snow and ice and things that "feel cold".  To me, that is peppermint, most specifically those chocolate covered peppermint patties.  I don't know why they remind me of winter and cold weather but they do.  I knew I was going to make a peppermint patty bundt so I threw the idea on the back burner and got caught up in the busyness of the Christmas season.

Before I knew it, the deadline for #BundtBakers was fast approaching and I had done nothing more than come up with an idea.  I had planned on making the Bundt to be served at our Santa party and here it was the day before and I hadn't  gotten any further in preparation than that first inkling of an idea.  We had hosted a dinner party on Friday and were finishing clean up on Saturday morning when I remembered that I still needed to make my cake.  We had an afternoon wedding and an evening Christmas gathering to attend.  This gave me about 2 hours to come up with and implement an idea.

I had made a Fudgy Peppermint Bundt in the past which was already posted so I decided to forget that idea and started thinking of other "Christmasy" bundts I could make.  I thought about a Gingerbread Bundt but then realized I had done that last year.  Google take me away.....

When searching Christmas Bundt Cakes on Google the very first recipe to pop up is from Betty Crocker for a Rainbow Christmas Wreath.  Perfect....quick, easy, adorable and the kids would love it. Gotta love Google and Betty Crocker!


It doesn't get much easier than opening a box mix, stirring it together, dividing the dough to add food coloring and baking.


Unless it is dividing up pre-made frosting, dividing it, adding food color and drizzling it over the cake.


I, personally, would have preferred a home made peppermint creation but the kids?  They loved this cake and it presented very well on the dessert buffet.


Merry Christmas everybody.  May your days be Merry, Bright and Beautifully Delicious.  Need help with that?  Take a look at all the Wonderful Winter Wonderland delights following the recipe below.

Christmas Wreath Cake
source: Betty Crocker

1 white cake mix
ingredients called for on the box
red and green food coloring
1 (12 oz) container whipped white frosting
Red Colored Sugar

Prepare cake mix as instructed on back of box.  Divide half the batter between two small bowls.  Tint one of the small bowls of batter with green food coloring and the other with red food coloring.  Pour half of the remaining, untinted, batter into the bottom of a bundt pan that has been liberally coated with baking spray.  Carefully pour the red batter over the plain in the pan, followed by the green batter and finally topped with the remaining white batter.  Carefully, so as to not mix the colors, place the bundt into the oven and bake per the directions on the back of the box.  Remove to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and allowing to cool completely.

Divide the container of frosting into 2 small microwave safe bowls.  Microwave one bowl for 5-10 seconds, stir and drizzle over the cooled cake that has been placed on a serving dish.  Microwave the second bowl for 5-10 seconds, tint with the green food coloring and drizzle over the cake.  Sprinkle with red colored sugar.  Print Recipe

More Winter Wonderland Creations

11 comments:

  1. Your cake really did turn out so pretty and festive! Perfect for the holidays! Its funny how much time we #bundtbakers spend dreaming up new bundt creations! I lay awake at night dreaming up new cake ideas sometimes!!!
    You certainly picked a winner.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for Christmas and perfect for kids, Wendy! I am going to have a look at your peppermint recipe and the Gingerbread one, since I also looove those flavours! Merry Christmas from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last minute Bundts are always fun...this one looks perfect for kids! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shortcuts at this time of year are perfectly acceptable, especially when you add in some food coloring! Merry Christmas, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lucky for me you forgot you have posted this back then. It gave me a chance to gawk it how festive it looks!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.