Thursday, December 1, 2016

Christmas Around the World. Anginetti (Italian LemonDrops) #ChristmasCookies #FilltheCookieJar

Welcome to Day 1 of the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies event.  This event is  hosted by Family Around the Table and Cooking With Carlee. We will be filling the season with all kinds of delicious cookies.  Be sure to check out some of the recipes below or you can follow along on Facebook or Twitter by searching #ChristmasCookies.  We also have a 12 Days of Cookies Pinterest board where you can see all of the goodness!  May your holidays be sweet!



It is also time for my monthly installment for Fill the Cookie Jar.  A fun group hosted by Cynthia of Feeding Big.  We post each month and it worked out very nicely that this month's event coincided with the 12 Days of Christmas Cookies event.  You will find links to all the cookies in both events following this post.



I decided that I am going to travel the world during this 12 Days of Christmas Cookies event, starting with today's offering Anginetti.  Anginetti is a traditional Lemon Drop Cookie from Italy that is served during the Christmas Season.


These tender, bright morsels are actually like a bite of Spring to me.  I was surprised that lemon was the traditional flavor for these cookies.  Happily surprised, that is.  These are absolutely amazing, light and not overly sweet. The photos found on Food.com where I found this recipe actually showed the cookies served up for many occasions with sprinkles to match the season.  I decided to sprinkle mine with poppy seeds because I love the lemon/poppy seed combination.

Other than the poppy seeds I made these cookies just as written and am very glad I did as the recipe is perfect.....easy peasy and delicious.

Don't forget to stop by tomorrow when we visit Poland on our 12 Days of Christmas Cookies Adventure.

Anginetti (Italian Lemon Drop Cookies)
slightly adapted from Kim D at Food.com

1/2 c.. sugar
1/4 c. vegetable shortening
3 eggs
1 1/2 t. lemon extract
2 c. flour
1 1/2 t. baking powder
dash of salt
3 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. water
1 t. lemon extract
Poppy Seeds for garnish

Cream together sugar and shortening until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Mix in 1 1/2 t. lemon extract.  Add the flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix on low speed until flour is combined then mix well.  Using a small cookie scoop, drop the dough onto parchment lined baking sheet, leaving about 2" between cookies.  Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 12-15 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.

Combine the powdered sugar, water and 1 t. lemon extract in a small bowl.  Spread onto each cookie, sprinkling immediately with the poppy seeds.  Print Recipe


Day 1 of 12 Days of #ChristmasCookies

Anginetti from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Candy Cane Cookies from The Freshman Cook
Christmas Sprinkle Cookies from Family Around the Table
Chocolate Coconut Layer Bars from Making the Most of Naptime
Cookie Butter Crisps from Palatable Pastime
Coffee Dipped Chocolate Shortbread Cookies by Feeding Big
Crispy and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
Cuppa Cookies from Cooking With Carlee
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cookies from Simple and Savory
Melting Snowmen from Cindy's Recipes and Writings 
Meyer Lemon Cookies from Caroline's Cooking
Pizelles from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Red Velvet Snowballs from The Chef Next Door
Snowday Cookies from Jolene's Recipe Journal

Let's #FilltheCookieJar


20 comments:

  1. I love cookies!! Unfortunately! I can't stop with just one. Who can?? Your lemon cookies sound delicious! Lots of good cookie recipes on this link up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Paula...it is very dangerous having all these cookies around.

      Delete
  2. Wendy, I'm trying to send you the book I have for you but I need your address again. Can you email it to me at h43050 at gmail dot com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet these meals in your mouth! I love lemon anything and I bet this cookies would not disappoint me! Yum. Thanks for being a part of the Fill The Cookie Jar grouP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you invited me to join this fun group Cynthia.

      Delete
  4. These sound lovely! Great idea of doing 12 cookies from around the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy. The only problem is that it is very dangerous having all these cookies in the house.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to travel the world of cookies with you! These sound like a delicious start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that these are lemon- some of my favorite kind of cookies. I think I might go through bottles of lemon extract by the gross. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not refuse lemon cookies, and these look amazing. Love the poppy seed combo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, I love your lemon anginetti cookies, now I know Christmas is right around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I'd known about the 12 days of cookies group this year - LOVE cookie groups at Christmas, perfect chance to try out some new recipes like this yummy Lemon Drop cookie recipe; they sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebekah, had I known that you were unaware I would have extended an invitation. I thought it went out to SRC members.

      Delete
  10. These sound awesome and I love anything that has lemon in it... A great cookie for the holiday seasone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlys....they didn't last long enough to get to the season though....we'll have to make another batch LOL

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.