Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Sausage Skillet

I had a lot of potatoes left over from our seafood boil.  I didn't take into consideration that everyone was bringing a dish so we had a lot of side dishes and really didn't need the potatoes.  I also had a six lbs. of smoked sausage that I completely forgot to put into my boil so I pulled the package out of the refrigerator to break down into smaller portions and freeze.

I looked at those potatoes and sausage and got very hungry.  Realizing it was lunchtime I decided to make a skillet.  I finely diced some onion, sliced the sausage and quartered the potatoes.


I put them in a large skillet with a little olive oil and seasoned liberally with salt and pepper.  I cooked them until they were golden brown, tossing occasionally.  While they were cooking I thought a fried egg would be perfect laid across the top. 


And it was perfect.  The potatoes were crispy outside and tender inside.  The sausage added just enough spice to make it interesting.  Add the oooey gooey goodness of the egg yolk over all and allow yourself to swoon.  The recipe makes four generous servings.  It is perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch or brinner.

Sausage Skillet

8 med red potatoes, boiled until tender, cooled and quartered
3 T. sweet onion, finely diced
16 oz. smoked kielbasa, sliced
4 slices Colby Jack cheese
1 T. olive oil
8 eggs
2 T. butter
salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med heat.  Add the onion and let cook a minute or two to soften.  Add the potatoes and sausage, season with salt and pepper.  Cook, tossing occasionally until the sausage browns and the potatoes crisp.  Turn heat to low and lay cheese over the top.

In a med skillet melt the butter over med low heat.  Crack each egg into a custard cup individually and add to the skillet, working in batches if necessary.  Season with salt and pepper and cook until whites are set.

Divide the potatoes and sausage mixture between 4 plates.  Place 2 eggs onto each portion and serve. Print Recipe


4 comments:

  1. Yummy! These are my favorite kind of meals, Wendy! A fried or poached egg goes on top of anything and makes it better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent!! The timing on this is perfect. I am sitting here putting together next week's menu and I am bored, bored, bored with my typical things. Just printed this one out. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.