Sunday, January 18, 2015

Memories of Mom for #SundaySupper

I have joined a great group of bloggers who join together each week to bring back home cooked family meals.  We call ourselves the #SundaySupperMovement.  I am so excited to become a part of this wonderful calling to gather around the table and share our lives.


Sunday Supper MovementJoin the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.

This week's theme is Hometown Foods.  I live in the Midwest.  Michigan to be exact.  Which I personally think is more Northeast than Midwest but nobody asked my opinion!!  Our area is abundant in apples, cherries, wild blueberries, white fish, perch, pickeral and venison.  We produce cereal, sugar, gingerale, beer, wine, cheese and chocolate. As you see, we have ton's of hometown foods from which to pick but as I was going through my day thinking about what I should make I stopped in to see my Mom.

This immediately brought to mind my hometown in which I grew up.  My parents had a small orchard in their yard containg 5 or 6 apple trees, 5 or 6 pear trees, a prune plum tree and a peach tree. My birthday falls in August, right when all of the apple trees were being harvested.  Each year my Mom would make me an Apple Cake for my Birthday.  I am not a frosting person and never have been so this cake was perfect because there was no frosting just a sprinkling of Cinnamon and Sugar on top before it baked.  I am happy to share this memory with you at today's #SundaySupper.


Make the batter for a simple yellow cake mix.
You can use boxed, your favorite recipe or my recipe included below.


Peel and core 2 local, organic apples.
I used McIntosh which are one of my favorites.
Cut into thin slices.


Stick the slices down into the cake batter.
I try to make sure that every bite of cake will contain apple.


Sprinkle liberally with Cinnamon Sugar.
You can buy this premade but it is a lot cheaper and easier to make your own.
Just add 1 t. of cinnamon to 1 c. of sugar.


Bake it until a skewer inserted comes out clean.


Enjoy with coffee in the morning.
Or with a big glass of milk as an afternoon snack.
Or as a wonderful dessert following #SundaySupper.

Memories of Mom; Michigan Apple Cake

3/4 c. butter, softened
3 eggs, room temperature
2 1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
pinch of salt
1 3/4 c. sugar
1 1/2 t. vanilla
1 1/4 c. milk
2 apples, cored, peeled and thinly sliced
Cinnamon Sugar

Mix flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl.  Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  Add vanilla then add flour mixture alternately with milk beating on low speed just until combined.

Place into a 9x13 pan that has been treated with baking spray.  Arrange apple slices on top of cake pushing mostly into the batter.  Sprinkle liberally with Cinnamon Sugar.

Bake in a preheated 375* oven for half an hour or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.  Print Recipe

Make sure you visit all of our great cooks who are sharing what Hometown Favorites they are serving for #SundaySupper.

Breakfast
Drinks
Appetizers and Snacks
Main Dishes
Side Dishes
Desserts

40 comments:

  1. Wendy, I'd much rather have your apple cake over a layered chocolate cake! My favorite! And I'm jealous of your marvelous Michigan apples---I've had Northern Spy sent to me from your state--they make the BEST pies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz, I am happy to have joined in with the group this week.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely cake- great idea to stick the apple slices downwards - I would have never thought of doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tradition for you and your Mom! I love that you just slid the apples in there. Welcome to the Sunday Supper Family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also live in Michigan, though I'd like to trade it for sunnier weather. This cake looks great - just the kind of thing I'd love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Sunday Supper! Thanks for sharing such lovely memories and a wonderful cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love apple desserts, this sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful cake. I will have to tuck this recipe away to try when I get apples by the bushel next year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful cake!!

    -Julie @ Texan New Yorker

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm. Beautiful memories. Beautiful cake. Kudos to you for being able to forfeit frosting!...And seriously - how wonderful to grow up with fruit trees in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful and now I have apple, pear, cherry and peach trees in my back yard.

      Delete
  10. A beautiful cake and memory of your mom! I can almost taste it! Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all apple desserts! This looks delicious. I haven't made apple cake in a while- I'll have to take a break from my crumble kick and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had a birthday and my husband made me...apple cake! I agree, sometimes the frosting is overkill. Especially if the cake tastes as good at this one looks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum apple cake reminds me of my mom as well. She would make us Jewish Apple Cake (it's a Philadelphia cake made in a bundt pan) all the time as kids. I remember helping her place the cut apples in the batter - so fun! What a lovely addition to sunday supper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam...So glad that we have happy memories of our Moms.

      Delete
  14. Im a Michigan girl too! *high five* There is nothing like Michigan Apples. Your cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon we sure have a lot of foods from which to choose here in Michigan.

      Delete
  15. This looks delicious! We'll have to try it come apple season this year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's like an apple poke cake but the apples are the poke! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am drooling over your beautiful apple cake. Looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a lovely, lovely story. This cake is reminiscent of so many warm, wonderful things. Good on you for sharing it with us this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful story, Wendy. I love the way you set the apples in here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a nice memory Wendy! I've never seen a cake like this before with apple slices right in the dough! I bet it tastes great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your story and the cake. I'd never thought of doing the apples that way. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my Mom had many brilliant moments. I think that makes her disease that much harder to bear.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.