Monday, November 24, 2014

Pork Souvlaki with Tzatziki and Pitas for SRC

I am very excited to share this month's Secret Recipe Club reveal with you.  What is Secret Recipe Club, you ask?  Well...it is just the greatest club in the world.  There are over a hundred bloggers who love food and love to cook in this club.  Each month we are given a mission to spy on another blogger and learn about them.  While doing so we go into their recipe file and (this is the hard part) pick one recipe that we want to make.  Then on reveal day we share whose blog we had and what one recipe, out of the plethora of great recipes, we decided to make.  You can learn more about SRC right here and you can join SRC right here.

This month I was assigned Nicole of Hapatite.  Nicole currently lives in the DC area but her heritage is Cherokee, Chinese and German.  Culturally she tends towards Hawaiin which is where her father's family hails from.  Can you imagine how wonderful the recipes are on her site with the fusion of all these different cultures and nationalities......no you can't.....you can't even imagine.....so just go on over there and check it out.  You are in for a treat!!

So many recipes caught my eye on Nicole's blog that I have a list a mile long of recipes I want to make including her Spinach Artichoke Dip and the Peach Lacquered Chicken Wings.  Both of these are definitely going on appetizer tables this Holiday season.  Nicole also has some fabulous desserts but I will let you go check those out yourself so that this narrative doesn't go on for days and days!

I finally settled for a dinner recipe using pork because I wanted to empty my freezer of last years harvest before these current little guys take up residence.  I love Greek food or any food from the Mediterranean for that matter, so the Pork Souvlaki with Tzatziki started jumping up and down, waving it's hands and saying "pick me, pick me" so I did.

And I am soooooooo glad because this dish was delicious!!!  I made a few, very minor changes.  I used sweet onion instead of red onion because that was what I had on hand and left the skin on the cucumber instead of peeling it.  I cut the recipe to only serve 2 people, I used my flexible fire wire instead of wooden skewers and grilled pitas instead of naan.  This recipe is definitely a keeper!!


I put mine on my plate and drizzled them with the tzatziki.


Frank put down a pool of tzatziki and placed the pork on top.
After the first couple of bites he drizzled more on top.


Delicious!!!!

Pork Souvlaki with Tzatziki

1 lb pork loin, trimmed and cut into 1" cubes
1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c. finely chopped sweet onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 T. red wine vinegar
2 t. oregano
salt and pepper to taste
6 oz. Greek yogurt
1/2 English cucumber, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
juice of 1/4 lemon
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 piece pita bread per person

Place 1/2 c. olive oil, onion, 2 garlic cloves, vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper in a plastic bag that seals.  Squish around until well blended.  Add pork loin cubes.  Shake until completely covered with marinade. Remove air from bag and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.

In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients to make tzatziki sauce.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve Souvlaki.

Place marinated meat onto skewers and grill over med high heat for 12-15 minutes until cooked through. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.  While pork is resting, brush each side of the pitas with olive oil and grill until lightly browned and heated through.  Serve Souvlaki with Tzatziki and Pitas.  Print Recipe


29 comments:

  1. This is a delicious and healthy meal.
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine and Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, I am salivating. Looks delicious. I want to come spend a few weeks with you just so you can cook with me. And Frank can make me drinks! But how on earth do you pronounce this dish?? I am off to see if I can find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be lovely to spend some time together. I hope you have a wonderful after Thanksgiving celebration and that you and the kids find something fun to do on the day itself. Maybe a Christmas movie marathon?

      Delete
  3. As you already know, I've got your blog! ;-)

    I had to stop here to say hello, and wish you a great Reveal Day! It was great to browse your site, the green rice, a huge success!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh this sounds great! Mediterranean food is my favorite and I LOVE homemade tzatziki!! Great SRC pick!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This looks absolutely delicious. Wonderful pick this month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything covered in tzatziki is OK in my book! This sounds delicious! Great pick this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tzatziki!!!!! This dish looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I love her blog too. You did this dish justice. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES please, what a FAB SRC pick - love it! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful creation! We go to Greek diners to get our souvlaki. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this great and easy recipe you will no longer need to go out when you have a souvlaki craving.

      Delete
  11. Ohhh... YUM! Wendy what a fantastic pick - mail me the leftovers... please? :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a delicious combination - all the more tempting since I'm making pita bread again. (loving your green rice too, a new favorite)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to run over and learn how to make homemade pitas. I am so glad that you are enjoying the green rice.

      Delete
  13. Sorry, it was my delete - I was away on a trip and decided to visit all blogs, but of course I posted a comment for you while I was away just to make sure you knew I got your blog...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great choice this month. Greek food is a real favourite with us, and souvlaki in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both cost effective and delicious dishes. Mouthwatering pork recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.