Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Cross Country Culinary Tour

My blogging friend, Debra, of Elliot Eats, invited me on a tour around the country visiting food bloggers and their sites.  The idea is to spend time networking and getting to know others who have similar interests and outlooks on life.

Last Sunday Debra answered some questions so that other's could get to know her a little bit.  She then traveled around and introduced 3 others, including me, to her readers.  I was honored that Debra thought of me when she was choosing which bloggers she should include on her tour.

Now it is my turn to answer the same questions and introduce you to the bloggers that I chose to take on the tour with me.  They have great sites and I know you are going to enjoy getting to know them.

First things first though...here are my questions and answers.

1. What am I currently working on at A Day in the Life on the Farm?  I just celebrated my one year blogiversary so I am working on improving my site and increasing my following.  I am very excited about a couple of events that are coming up in the very near future including #10daysoftailgate and Swapoween.  I have also started up another blog documenting my Quest for Fitness.

2. How does my work differ from other "foodie" blogs?  I guess the biggest difference is that I don't necessarily consider my blog a "foodie" blog.  I do love cooking, trying new recipes and sharing recipes with others but that is not the (or it was not my intent that it be) main focus of my blog.  My blog was more just to document my Life on the Farm which just happens to include a lot of cooking because that is what makes me happy.

3. Why do I write what I do?  I started writing my blog because I was the main caregiver for my Mom who suffers with Alzheimer's disease.  As such, much of my day was spent sitting in the same room with my Mom as she watched game shows.  This blog began as a way to keep my sanity as I watched my Mom lose hers.  I wasn't sure what kind of blog I was looking to write so I decided just to share my life each day.  The good, the bad, the happy, the sad....just A Day in the Life on the Farm.

4. How does my writing process work?  Now that Mom is in a Memory Care Center and my days are not dictated by her care my writing process has changed.  Now I mainly spend the mornings reading the blogs that I follow while I have my coffee.  Throughout the day, I think about what I would like to share with others and what they would find interesting and enjoyable.  I also think about the groups I belong to, (SRC, Cook the Books, Food n Flix)  and what posts are due for them.   When I have free time during the day I sit and write whatever it is that has come to mind during my brainstorming.

So there you have it, everything (and probably more) that you ever wanted to know about my blogging life.  Now let me share with you other bloggers who I admire and who inspire me daily.


We shall leave my little town of Fair Haven, Michigan and head Northwest to North Dakota where I will introduce you to my friend, Amy, of Amy's Cooking Adventures.


Amy was the first blogger I had ever read or followed.  She is the daughter in law of my dear friends, Kirsten and John, and she is an amazing lady.  She is a stay at home Mom who spends her days thinking of creative ways to get her young boys to eat healthily without a struggle.  She is very creative and, for the most part, successful in this endeavor. But don't think for one moment that her food is only geared towards young kids.  Amy also shares some wonderful party food as well as party ideas for her adult friends, like this one depicting the Roaring 20's.  How fun is that!!


Oh, and did I mention that Amy also bakes beautiful cakes?
Enjoy your visit to her site...just be careful you don't lose track of time and burn dinner.

Okay, enough fun and jocularity in North Dakota...Let's head on over to meet Rebekah of Making Miracles down south in Georgia.



Now you might think that the title of this blog, Making Miracles, refers to all the delicious food that Rebekah creates but you would be wrong.  Rebekah was a surrogate mother, not just once, but 3 times and the last time presenting the parents with twins!!  That is the most unselfish act I can think of....I don't know that I would be able to love that unselfishly.  As for the recipes....Oh my gosh, there are hundreds, in every category you can imagine.  Wonderful, delicious looking food like these cupcakes that just make my mouth water.


Banana Pudding Cupcakes is just one of hundreds of recipes you will find when you visit Rebekah's blog. Enjoy your time with her, I know I sure did.

And now we leave Georgia and are off to Western Wisconsin where we get to meet Carmen of A Simple Homestead.  

We're neighbors.
Except for the Great Lake separating us.
And the fact that I live as far east as you can get in Michigan and Carmen lives on the west side of Wisconsin.  But we're still neighbors.

While Carmen does not write a "foodie" blog she does share her recipes.  She, like me, raises chickens and unlike me, grows her own food.  She is working towards a hobby farm and I enjoy watching her journey and remembering my move from laying hens to meat chickens to turkeys then to hogs.  Carmen has so much to look forward to LOL.  Carmen is a very avid crocheter and she does beautiful work.  The recipes that she shares are Midwestern Fare at it's best, think venison stew, hot milk cake and these gorgeous potato rolls that I cannot wait to make.

potato rolls - baked closeup(3)

I can't wait for you to get to know Carmen.
She is warm and welcoming...it emanates from her writings.


Well this is the end of my Cross Country Culinary Tour but not to worry because next Sunday Amy, Rebekah and Carmen  will be answering their questions and taking us to meet 3 new bloggers each.  See you on the next flight!!



8 comments:

  1. Booking my flights now to head out to visit these three new blogs! Thanks for playing, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for featuring me today! This should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feature Wendy! Loved reading your Q&A. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining me Rebekah, looking forward to your tour.

      Delete
  4. I'm here from Eliot's Eats. Nice to meet you. :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.