Sunday, November 6, 2022

Puffed Millet Granola and a Book Review of The Hike #SundayFunday

Puffed Millet combined with honey, almonds, coconut, dried cranberries and freeze dried marshmallows make a perfect breakfast mixed in with your yogurt or a perfect carry along snack for your next hike.

Puffed Millet Granola

The Sunday Funday Bloggers are sharing Millet recipes today.......
Sunday Funday Logo

Renu of Cook with Renu is hosting this week and invited us all to join her in sharing recipes that contain Millet.  I was not familiar with Millet so I went off to do a trusty Google search.  This is what I found, thanks to Wikipedia ......
Millets are a highly varied group of small-seeded grasses, widely grown around the world as cereal crops or grains for fodder and human food. Most species generally referred to as millets belong to the tribe Paniceae, but some millets also belong to various other taxa. 

Then I went on a search for Millet recipes.  I found out that there are a ton of them, now I just needed to find some millet.  I went to my Amazon account to look for millet and found that they had Puffed Millet.  I am familiar with Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice so this was very appealing to me.  I ordered some up.

Puffed Millet

I then went back on a search for recipes using Puffed Millet and found one from Craving California where Leigh used Puffed Millet for Granola.  Inspired by her recipe, I made a version of Granola too.  I used the honey, almonds and coconut as she suggested but then went a little further and added some dried cranberries and dehydrated marshmallows to the mixture.

Puffed Millet Granola

I halved the recipe as I wanted to make sure that the Teen liked it before making more than I would eat on my own.  I followed the cooking directions but lowered the time for the second bake by 4 minutes as it was turning very brown and I didn't want it to burn.  I added the extra ingredients after the initial mixture was cool.

The Hike

As the Granola was cooling, I went for my daily walk.  I am currently listening to The Hike by Susi Holliday.  This novel, is about two sisters and their spouses who decide to go on a hike together through the alps.  The couples have a tenuous love/hate relationship with each other and with their spouses.  

Things start to turn very bad during this hike and they end up lost and hungry before finally finding a restaurant, that had been their lunch destination, 3 hours late.  It was at this point in the novel that I was listening on the walk while my Granola cooled.  I thought to myself, as I listened, that it was too bad they didn't have some of the Granola with them on the hike.

I haven't finished the novel yet but I can tell you that something went very wrong as only 2 of the 4 have come down from the mountain.  One of those 2 are very injured but they made it onto the steps of a small town police department.  That is as far as I am in the story right now........

I will resume listening during my walk tomorrow.  Perhaps I will take some of this delicious Puffed Millet Granola with me on my hike.

Stop by and see the other Millet Recipes being shared today......


Breakfast, Snacks, Granola, Nuts,
Breakfast
American
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Puffed Millet Granola

Puffed Millet Granola

Puffed Millet combined with honey, almonds, coconut, dried cranberries and freeze dried marshmallows make a perfect breakfast mixed in with your yogurt or a perfect carry along snack for your next hike.
Prep time: 5 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 30 Min

Ingredients

  • 1 c. puffed millet
  • 1/2 c. slivered almonds
  • 1/2 c. coconut flakes
  • 2 T. butter, melted
  • 2 T. honey
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/2 c. dried cranberries
  • 1/2 c. dehydrated mini marshmallows

Instructions

  1. Combine the millet, almonds, coconut, butter, honey and salt in a bowl, mixing well to coat.
  2. Spread onto a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
  3. Bake in a preheated 325* oven for 15 minutes, stirring after 7 minutes. Reduce heat to 200* and bake until deep golden brown, about another 10 minutes.
  4. Remove from oven and allow to cool before transferring to a bowl. Add the cranberries and marshmallows and toss to combine.
  5. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Notes

Adapted from a recipe found at Craving California

Nutrition Facts

Calories

324.44

Fat (grams)

14.43

Sat. Fat (grams)

7.07

Carbs (grams)

45.41

Fiber (grams)

5.67

Net carbs

39.75

Sugar (grams)

16.39

Protein (grams)

6.23

Sodium (milligrams)

45.4

Cholesterol (grams)

10.18

12 comments:

  1. Now I need to buy puffed millet and find that book, Wendy. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available through the Libby app at any of my libraries, although there are two other books with the same title by different authors. Your granola sounds nutritious and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The book was okay Stacy, don't work too hard to find it. There are too many great books out there to keep you from worrying about this one.

      Delete
    2. I definitely need to get puffed millet and try this recipe. I disliked that book so much though! But glad that it inspired this.

      Delete
  2. I'm definitely going to look for puffed millet on Amazon. What a wonderful granola recipe Wendy. Different from the usual oats granola. Also an excellent way to enjoy some millet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this granola, great to snack on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and this can be easily replaced with granola for my morning breakfast Love power packed millets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Safe to say I have never made anything with millet. Pretty sure I haven't eaten it either!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.