Friday, December 20, 2019

Creamy Clam Dip with a Sauvion Vouvray #FishFridayFoodies #Winophiles

This creamy clam dip is a nice change for your next holiday party when you want some seafood on the appetizer buffet.  It can be served with crackers, bread or fresh vegetables. Crudites as they are called in France, especially if you decide to serve it up with this delicious, buttery and bright Sauvion Vouvray wine.


Join me as Fish Friday Foodies greets the French Winophiles for the Christmas Season.....
Karen of Karen's Kitchen Stories is hosting Fish Friday Foodies this month and asked us to join her in celebrating the Feast of the Seven Fishes.

Here is the introduction to her invitation:
"The Feast of the Seven Fishes is an Italian American Christmas Eve tradition. There are no hard rules, but here is how Bon Appetit outlines it.  Make one of the first five and I'll organize our list by course:
  • 1st course: Appetizer or a snack
  • 2nd course: Seafood salad
  • 3rd course: Meaty fish, grilled or broiled 
  • 4th course: Fish in pasta 
  • 5th course: Seafood Stew 
  • 6th course: palate cleanser like gelato (not fish) 
  • 7th course: light dessert such as Italian cookies (not fish)


I have always wanted to have a dinner party serving the Feast of the Seven Fishes, unfortunately my husband is not a fish/seafood lover so I have to settle on sneaking in one fish course when entertaining.  This is usually in the form of a first course or appetizer, however I sometimes am able to make a pasta course that he enjoys.  

Let's see what courses the others brought to the table for this Christmas Feast:
I decided to make this creamy clam dip that I found on Food.com.  I made very minor adaptations and it turned out delicious, very garlicky and comforting.  I served this up one evening to my brother and his wife when they joined us for dinner as we enjoyed a glass of wine and visited before dinner was ready to be served.  It was so good that I made another batch to take to the potluck held at our Dive Shop.  


Now, you may have thought that since Fish Foodies was serving up an Italian Feast that I would go with an Italian wine to serve with my clam dip.  You would have thought wrong.

Jeff of Food Wine Click invited us to explore Vouvray for this month's Winophiles and then to join him for chat tomorrow at 11 am et on Twitter following #winophiles.  You can see Jeff's invitation post here.

I was thrilled to find out that not all Vouvray wine is sweet.  The last time I had Vouvray I used it and paired it with this lovely dessert and I was very happy with it but I'm not a huge sweet wine lover.  This time I located a bottle of off dry white from Sauvion Vineyards that was fruity but not overly sweet. It is medium body and leaves a butter feel in your mouth.  It paired very nicely with the clam dip.

This is what the other's are going to be talking about during chat.  I will be there in spirit and I am scheduling some discussion however I will be busy at our Food Pantry distributing Food Baskets to families and helping Santa give gifts to the kiddies.  If you have a free hour and you want to learn more about French wine and meet a great group of folks you should stop by Twitter and introduce yourself.  You will be welcomed with open arms.




#appetizers, #dips, #clams, #seafood, #shellfish, #creamcheese,
Appetizers, Seafood
American
Yield: 2 cups
Author:

Creamy Clam Dip

Creamy Clam Dip

This creamy clam dip is a nice change for your next holiday party when you want some seafood on the appetizer buffet. It can be served with crackers, bread or fresh vegetables.
prep time: 5 Mcook time: total time: 5 M

ingredients:

  • 1 (6 oz) can minced clams, drained, 2 T. of juice reserved
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 c. sour cream
  • 3-4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 -3 grinds of black pepper
  • 2 dashes hot sauce
  • pinch of salt

instructions:

How to cook Creamy Clam Dip

  1. Place all ingredients into the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times until combined.  Chill until ready to serve.

NOTES:

Adapted from a recipe found at Food.com
Created using The Recipes Generator

19 comments:

  1. Jake and I have a free night while the boys are at a robotics holiday party. I think I know what I'm making as our first course. Thanks for the inspiration. Now I just need to get my hands on some Vouvray...maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a wonderful seafood appetizer - creamy and lots of dipping options! I am sure your dive shop appreciated the seafood contribution. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all about dips for holiday parties since they can be made ahead and are so easy to transport! Yours looks and sounds delicious, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just happen to have a can of clams looking for a recipe! This dip sounds easy and delicious! I love that you started Fish Fridays while Frank is not a fan of fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, luckily he will eat anything I put in front of him, or at least try it, and sometimes he actually has seconds. That always makes me happy.

      Delete
  5. That's so wonderful that you're volunteering at the food pantry! The crab dip looks delicious and sound like a great pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always in need of an appetizer recipe for a party. My daughter has a seafood allergy, so like you, I do seafood when I can! Your dip sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you found a Vouvray you like! I'm not opposed to sweet wines, but I sure would like to know whether they're sweet before I open the bottle

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds tasty and perfect party food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing an easy and delicious recipe to help us all get through the holidays! Merry Christmas Wendy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.