Monday, February 26, 2018

Rice Cereal Apple Muffins #MuffinMonday

I bought a different brand of rice cereal last month.  Nobody will eat it.  I think it tastes exactly the same as the other rice cereal.  Nobody will even try it to see if that is true.  In fact, Nobody, went to the store and bought another box of rice cereal, the brand I usually buy.  This, my friends, is the power of advertising.

So now I have this box of rice cereal that I need to use up.  Thank goodness for Muffin Monday.

Muffin Monday is a nifty little group led by Stacy of Food Lust People Love, that get together on the last Monday of each month to share a muffin recipe.  No themes. No requirements other than using the muffin method of combining the dry ingredients, the wet ingredients and then combining them together.


This is the part of the recipe, where I drop the cinnamon bottle while putting it away.  It lands, just so, on my coffee cup, breaking it neatly in half.  Coffee is everywhere and I'm grabbing towels, dishcloths and paper towels to grab it before it lands on the floor.  


Then I was frazzled and forgot about taking photos of adding the wet ingredients and stirring in the apples.  But those things were done and they did get put into the muffin tin.


They baked up beautifully.  They were moist, tender and delicious. Nobody liked them enough to eat two without ever realizing that I used the "wrong" rice cereal.


Rice Cereal Apple Muffins

1/2 c. rice cereal, roughly crumbled
1/2 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. baking soda
dash of salt
1 egg
1/4 c. applesauce
2 T. oil (I used olive oil)
1/2 t. vanilla
1 small apple, peeled, cored and diced

Combine the cereal, flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl.  Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.

Whisk together the egg, applesauce, oil and vanilla. Pour into the well of the dry ingredient.  Mix with a spoon until just combined.  Stir in the diced apple.  Divide between 6 muffin cups and bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.  Print Recipe

More Marvelous Muffins


Muffin Monday


#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins. You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday, can be found on our home page.

10 comments:

  1. Wendy,
    I know Nobody has a preference, but what brand is it? When I think of rice cereal I think of baby food, so I'm trying to figure out what else this could mean.

    I'm sorry about your coffee cup. That bites! I hope it wasn't a favorite one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Rice Chex in this recipe Kirsten. Normally we buy Rice Krispies.

      Delete
  2. Nobody really is something else! I have to say that I have brand preference for some cereals but Snap, Crackle and Pop can be replaced by pretty much any store brand puffed rice at my house. Well done with making something wonderful out of the shunned box!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well evidently not in this one Stacy but the muffins were a big hit so I will be using more of the brand I bought.

      Delete
  3. These muffins look amazing! What a creative use of cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you found a way to get your beloved "brand snobs" to consume, and actually love, the cereal! Genius. Sorry about the coffee cup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like you were having a 'Monday' at your house!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.