Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Chicken Tortilla Skillet #FoodBloggers4tx

One of the members of our Festive Foodies group, Susanne of New South Charm, thought it would be nice for us to join together in support of those who were devastated by Hurricane Harvey.

Susanne's wonderful idea was that we would each post a Texas style recipe onto our blogs along with information on some reputable charities to which our readers could donate, if they so chose.  Then we would link all of our recipes together and try to reach as many people as we possibly could.

Image may contain: text

Hurricane Harvey was an awful tragedy but as with many terrible things there is also some good that has come from it.  Harvey, in one fall swoop, took a nation divided and united us together as we reach out to those in need.  Neighbors helping neighbors, strangers helping strangers, with no heed to the color of the skin, the sexual orientation, the nationality, the political affiliation.  It made us all stop and realize what is important in this world and this country......the people populating it's borders.

So, if you haven't already, and you find it in your heart to do so, please donate to one of the following charities of your choice.  It doesn't have to be much....every little bit counts.


Suggested Reputable Charities 



I decided to share an easy peasy recipe that utilizes leftover chicken.  I am down to cooking for only 2 now and am always excited when I can repurpose leftovers into a whole new meal.


I also love that this is a one pot meal which means less clean-up. I would have liked to have added a can of black beans to this skillet as well but, alas, my cupboard was bare of beans.


Once the mixture is warmed through, remove from heat and sprinkle on the cheese.  Lightly toss the cheese into the mixture.


Serve up in shallow bowls, garnished with a dollop of sour cream.  This dish is quick to make and flavorful with just the right amount of heat to it.  



Chicken Tortilla Skillet

1 T. olive oil
1/2 small onion, dice
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 t. dried
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles, drained
1/2 small zucchini, diced
1 c. chicken broth
2 c. shredded, cooked chicken
pepper to taste
1 c. roughly crushed tortilla (corn) chips
3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
sour cream for garnish, if desired

Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet.  Add onions and garlic, cook and stir for a few minutes until softened and fragrant.  Add the oregano sprigs, tomatoes with juices, zucchini and drained green chiles.  Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes.

Stir in chicken and season with black pepper. Stir in the tortilla chips.  Cook until heated through. Off heat, sprinkle with cheese.  Serve with a dollop of sour cream, if desired. Print Recipe

More Texas Inspired Recipes


30 comments:

  1. Yum! And Feta too...what's not to love about this recipe!?!?!? Leftovers never looked so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the zucchini in there, Wendy! Looks fabulous! P~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, well zucchini manages to make an appearance in almost every dish this time of year LOL

      Delete
  3. What a yummy looking dinner and fitting tribute to Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm cooking for two now as well, and love this way to use up chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I also cook for two now - this looks amazing and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feta!! I will definitely have to try this very soon! Great for tailgating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! This looks so tasty! Love the idea of a one pot meal and the flavors~YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great recipe for football season. Putting this on my to do list. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy! I will have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love skillet dinners and this one looks delicious! I fact, I was going to do tacos tonight for supper but might modify it to this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the perfect mid-week meal and one that I would inhale! I will definitely be making this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love one pot meals and this looks delicious, wonderful that you are showing your support like this, way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! And, I adore recipes that when when only cooking for 2 people :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never know what to do with leftovers so I really love that this is made with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that it really helps if I include use of the leftovers in my meal planning.

      Delete
  15. That looks so tasty and easy to make! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for being a part of #foodbloggers4TX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so helpless, this was such a little thing to do in support of our family and friends.

      Delete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.