That is why I was excited when the folks over at Sunday Supper asked us to share our favorite Easy Pumpkin Recipes. Pumpkins are the epitome of Fall Fruits and Veggies. In fact, we are going to spend an entire week celebrating the Pumpkin starting October 2nd, so this was a great kick off for that event.
This delicious, creamy, savory pumpkin soup is perfect for the season. You can enjoy it with a sandwich for lunch, as we did, but it really shines as an elegant first course at a harvest dinner party. Perhaps garnished with some fried sage leaves or garlicky croutons.
This recipe serves four but can easily be doubled to serve more. I flavored mine with some Pumpkin Spice Liqueur that I had on my shelf but you can also use a dry marsala or vermouth if you'd like or omit the alcohol completely...it's your soup.
Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Soup
2 t. garlic infused good olive oil (or 2 t. evoo + 1 garlic clove, minced)
1/2 of a small onion, diced
3 fresh sage leaves, minced
2 c. chicken broth
1 lb. pumpkin puree
1/4 c. pumpkin spice liqueur
1 T. flour
1/4 c. heavy cream
salt and pepper to taste
Heat the olive oil in a medium pot over med high heat. Add the onion (and garlic, if needed) and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add sage leaves and cook a minute or two, until fragrant.
Add the liqueur and cook, scraping the bottom of the pan for a minute or two, then add the broth and pumpkin to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Combine the flour and cream, stirring to completely dissolve the flour. Reduce heat under the soup to a simmer. Stir in the cream mixture. Continue cooking and stirring until the soup is silky and thickened. Do not allow to boil. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Print Recipe
More Simple Pumpkin Recipes
Meals, Sides, and Snacks
- Autumn Harvest Pumpkin Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chocolate Pumpkin Chia Pudding by Cricket’s Confections
- Chocolate Pumpkin Pastry Twists by Caroline’s Cooking
- Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Miso Broth with Roast Pumpkin and Noodles by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Walnut Streusel by Baking Sense
- Pumpkin Kugel by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Monkey Bread Muffins by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pumpkin Mug Muffin by Our Good Life
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Cups by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Pumpkin Shrub by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Pumpkin Spiced Cream Cheese Rolls by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Roasted Pumpkin Apple Bacon Soup by Food Lust People Love
- Savory Pumpkin with Red Onion Garlic and Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- No Bake Paleo Pumpkin Bites by Bites of Wellness
- Pumpkin Blondies by Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Bread Pudding by The Freshman Cook
- Pumpkin Cupcakes by NinjaBaker.com
- Pumpkin Hand Pies by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Pumpkin Pot Au Creme by Cooking On The Ranch
- Traditional Pumpkin Pie by Palatable Pastime
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies by Sunday Supper Movement