Saturday, September 2, 2017

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus #FMD #InternationalBaconDay

Did you know that today is International Bacon Day?  I didn't until Liz of Books and Cooks asked us to share our favorite recipe using bacon.

This is not my favorite recipe using bacon.......

However, as I told you on my birthday post, I am giving myself the gift of better care for this year. During the time this event is taking place I am following the Fast Metabolism Diet.  This eating plan does allow for bacon.....turkey bacon.

This recipe is my favorite recipe for Phase 2 of this eating plan.  Phase 2 is protein and veggie heavy. In fact, each meal and snack on Wednesdays and Thursdays, contain nothing but protein and veggies and each meal must have both.


I make up a large batch of these Bacon Wrapped Asparagus on Wednesday morning. Four of them make a meal and 2 of them make a snack.  I normally enjoy them for breakfast each day and for snacks a couple of times during the phase.  They are portable and finger friendly so it makes life easy. They are surprisingly tasty, considering that it is turkey bacon, which doesn't taste like bacon at all to me, but I like smoked turkey (which it does taste like) so life is good.

This also makes a great appetizer to set out when company comes.  They won't even know that they are eating healthily as they snack on these.  They really are good.  I have taken them with me to potlucks so that I know there will be something available for me to snack on during this eating plan.

After this 28 day cycle, I will reintroduce real bacon back into my diet, in moderation but until then this is a great substitute that I enjoy and I think you will as well.

You can find "real" bacon recipes following this one from The Fast Metabolism Diet Cookbook.

Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
source: The FMD Cookbook

1 pkg. turkey bacon (nitrate free)
1 bunch asparagus
1/2 c. vegetable broth

Snap the woody ends from the asparagus.  Wrap each stalk with a strip of bacon and place, seam side down,  onto a rimmed baking sheet.  Add the vegetable broth, cover with foil and place in a preheated 375* oven for 25 minutes, until asparagus is crisp tender and the bacon is cooked through. Print Recipe

More Bacon-y Bites

  • Bacon Corn Pizza from Caroline’s Cooking
  • Bacon Wrapped Asparagus from A Day In The Life On The Farm
  • Barbecue, Bacon, & Cheddar Stuffed Sweet Potatoes from Tip Garden
  • Broccoli Bacon Salad from Feeding Big
  • Chicken Bacon Ranch Skillet from Amy’s Cooking Adventure
  • Hot German Potato Salad with Bacon from Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
  • Pasta Carbonara Torte from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
  • Roast Beef, Ham and Bacon Club Sandwich from Family Around The Table
  • Surprise Biscuits from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
  • Warm Bacon Gruyere Dip with Caramelized Onion and Chive from Bear & Bug Eats
  • Wilted Lettuce Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing from Palatable Pastime
  • 17 comments:

    1. So glad you shared a healthy bacon recipe. While I use regular bacon, I more frequently make turkey bacon since it's better for you.

      I'm excited to make this as an appetizer - never thought of making it as a breakfast, but it's a great way to get the veggies in early in the day.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks, it was surprisingly tasty. Thanks again for hosting this party.

        Delete
    2. Aghhh...turkey bacon just isn't the same! Although, you'll be the one healthy and slim while my big ol' butt just continues to get bigger! Love the bacon and asparagus combo...two great ingredients!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It isn't the same at all Colleen, but it isn't bad...just not bacon and this eating plan is only 28 days so I can survive without bacon that long.....had it been 30 days...no deal LOL

        Delete
    3. Nothing better than a portable delicious snack. How cool that this theme fit into your diet!

      ReplyDelete
    4. I've still to try turkey bacon and can't help but think it won't be the same for me as 'the real thing' but can completely see it's healthier :) Great with asparagus too!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. It is nowhere near real bacon but it is good in it's own way so if you go into not expecting the real thing you can enjoy it for what it is.

        Delete
    5. I just LOVE asparagus and Bacon + asparagus??? YES PLEASE!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oh, this looks fantastic, Wendy. Two of my favorites.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I love bacon wrapped asparagus! Way to go making the challenge work with your eating plan!

      ReplyDelete
    8. Whaaa? I never knew Bacon Day existed! Bacon + asparagus go so well together.

      ReplyDelete
    9. A very Great and interesting post. Thanks for sharing Your Awesome Recipe with us. You explain it Very Well, I just Love it to try your Recipe. Sounds very Delicious and tasty. Once again thanks for sharing with us. :) ��

      ReplyDelete

    I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.