Tuesday, May 21, 2024

K is for Kwasnica (Polish Sauerkraut and Pork Soup) starting with Leftovers

This hearty, one-pot meal starts with leftovers.  When I am planning my Weekly Menu and Roast Pork is on it, I often include this delicious soup as a second dinner during the week.

Kwasnica

K is for Kwasnica, a Polish soup containing Pork and Sauerkraut.....
We are working our way through the alphabet this year, one letter every other Wednesday, making a recipe that either starts with the letter or contains a main ingredient that begins with the letter.

This week we are celebrating foods or recipes that begin with the Letter K.......


Kwasnica

You can make this more of a stew than a soup by adjusting the amount of liquid in the recipe. You can also make this with fresh pork using pork chops and boiling them gently in water until cooked.  Once cooked, allow to cool. remove the meat from the bones, discard the bones and use the boiling water as your broth.


Soup, Pork
Soup
Polish
Yield: 6 servings
Author: Wendy Klik
Kwasnica (Pork and Sauerkraut Soup)

Kwasnica (Pork and Sauerkraut Soup)

This hearty, one-pot meal starts with leftovers. When I am planning my Weekly Menu and Roast Pork is on it, I often include this delicious soup as a second dinner during the week.
Prep time: 10 MinCook time: 25 MinTotal time: 35 Min

Ingredients

  • 2 c. leftover pork roast, cut into bite-size pieces.
  • 1/4 c. olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 carrot, scraped and chopped
  • 4 small new potatoes, diced
  • 4 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 2 c. sauerkraut, lightly rinsed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 T. brown sugar
  • 1 qt. broth

Instructions

  1. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes and celery. Season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Add the sauerkraut, pork, and brown sugar. Stir to mix and coat. Then add the bay leaf and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. Filling this one away for fall, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do need to cook with Sauerkraut more often. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, you know how I love a soup recipe...and I can't wait to give this one a try...it sounds so unique and flavorful. Plus, I love sauerkraut in just about anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Colleen. It looks as if you had an amazing trip.

      Delete
  4. I am loving this soup! This is a great and filling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A useful and filling recipe. Best way to use up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy getting comments and feedback from my audience. Please let me know what you think, keeping in mind that we are all entitled to our own beliefs and opinions. I am happy to hear yours as long as they are stated nicely.